I wish Apple would return to iPhone SE design for iPhone 7!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kristoffer4, Jun 17, 2016.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Anybody else feel the same way? The iPhone 5s\SE feels much more sturdy in the hand and it is much easier to hold!
    I would love if the iphone 7 had a similar design.

2. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Or you could just keep your SE?

I've had my 6 since launch and feel absolutely no need to replace it. It's good for at least another year, maybe longer.

Heck, I might just wait until it breaks! :)

3. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

The square edges would not work well on a bigger phone.

4. osta.doc macrumors member

I agree.....

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I know that the 5/5s/SE design is well liked, but I have to say that the 6/6s design is much sleeker.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2016 ---
    I agree about the 6. People here keep complaining about the 1GB of RAM, but I have no problem with it. I always have the latest iOS version and my 6 still performs flawlessly in my opinion. I used to assume that I could get an iPhone 7 in 2016, but based on the continued performance of my 6 and the rumours that 2017 will bring a major hardware update, I see little reason to replace my 6

6. Newtons Apple, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The SE screen is way to small for me no matter how good it "feels"

A few days ago I went to the Apple store to buy an additional iPad Pro and they handed me the little 4" phone they carry for me to type in my email address and wow it was tiny!

7. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Ditto what people said about square edges not working on a big phone. I personally have no issue with the iPhone 6 design. It still looks like the most beautiful phone on the market to me.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If it felt fine in my hand I wouldn't mind it. But I'm not wishing for it to go back to that either. I have no issues with the way the current models looks and feel aside from being a little slippery. At the end of the day I have a case in anyway.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The design of the 6 looks nice but is garbage to actually use. It's the first iPhone design I felt compelled to put in a case because it handles like a bar of soap. Learning they are keeping that crap design for a third year is what pushed me to get an SE rather than wait for the 7.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree those edges would not work on a larger phone. Having said that the 6 series design is not practical either and I've lost count of the number of times I thought my 6S Plus was going to slip out of my hand. I have a polycarbonate case on the back but it doesn't help regards grip.

11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I agree with Newtons Apple, I greatly appreciate the screen size of my iPhone 6s+ and have no desire for anything smaller.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Nope that would be a horrible idea, those square edges on a bigger phone. and the extra thickness on a 5.5 inch phone would make it too hard to use one handed

13. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

It will make matters worse.that big 5.5 iPhone with squared edges will feel like holding a tile in hand

14. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think they would get even more flack for returning to an old design than if the 7 keeps the same form factor as the 6 series.

15. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Quite the contrary. The flat edges would make the phone easier to hold. Not sure why you're assuming the phone would be thicker. There's no reason it would be just by flattening the sides.

I have a 2015 Moto X Pure Edition which has flat edges. It's only slightly shorter and narrower, but a little thicker than an iPhone Plus, though it's much easier to hold and use one-handed because the flat edges provide a better grip. The iPhone Plus is too slippery.

I'm not saying Apple should return to the iPhone 5/5s/SE design for the next iPhone, but I would love for them to return to that style with the flat sides and polished chamfered edges. Just update the design a little bit.

16. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

I like the curved edges of the iPhone 6. I think it looks nice.

17. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I wish apple would have always kept the same "design language" than the 5/5s. The iPhone 6 and 6s design language is plain ugly. I always thought that I would get used to it, but never did. Which is why I went back to the SE for the finally 3.5 months of this cycle.

I'm hoping the iPhone 7 with its "reorganized" bands will catch my eye. So far in mock ups they don't look too bad.

Apple could have kept the same design language with the 6 series just has it did with the 4 and 5 series. The iPhone 5 series is just an update to the design of the 4 series... Apple could have done this with the 6 series with no issues at all.

Look what Samsung has done with it Galaxy/note series... They have kept the same design language for years...

18. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

Everyone is different, and unfortunately it isn't practical to accommodate all of us. I know lots of people love the SE, but I've been begging for a bigger iPhone since I got my iPhone 4. That is until I got my iPhone 6 Plus. I find the 4.7" iPhone too small, but the 5.5" iPhone a little too big. I like the design of the 6 and 6+ and don't get why so many people dislike it, but ideally I would love a 5.1" iPhone. I'm actually surprised that I never see anyone else mention this on any of these threads. 5.5" might be okay if they were able to trim down those bezels, but barring that, I wish they would have come out with a medium sized iPhone this year rather than an extra small iPhone.

19. AVN6293, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016

AVN6293 macrumors member

AVN6293

I completely agree they should return to the SE formfactor or at-least upgrade the hardware further to include everything in the 6s. It would be a squeeze but i'd buy it in a heartbeat at any pricepoint under 2 grand.

20. Drestin-Black Suspended

Drestin-Black

I agree. The wife still has a 5s and it's tiny after using mine. She is waiting on the 7 to upgrade to the plus.