OS Neutral I wish more games would use Steam's match-making system

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by tzhu07, Apr 17, 2013.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

So I have a ton of people blocked on Steam, and that's great for a game like Left 4 Dead 2 where I'm never placed in a game with someone I previously blocked.

But it sucks that with other games I have to build up a block list again.

It'd be so much better if more developers used Steam's API for match-making. Think of it as a universal block list across all games.

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

Let me guess: you've blocked those really annoying players who think it's funny to teamkill someone either in the saferoom at the beginning of a level or somewhere in the level?

I hate those guys!

3. Towelie1288 macrumors regular

Towelie1288

lol and when people are inside the saferoom and keep opening and closing the door so other people cant come in i mean its funny sometimes lol but most of the time when like 100 zombies chasing you its annoying as hell!!!

4. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

People really make me laugh with their antics sometimes, deliberately creating mayhem and causing short fuses to be lit, etc. LOL!

5. TedM macrumors 6502

I actually wish the exact opposite. Though my only experiences with steam matchmaking were really from Modern Warfare 2. I compared it to the private servers of MW 1 and was so disappointed I shelved the call of duty series forever till they brought that back. At max steam games have like 16 something people in it. At max a private server has like 50-80. The game is a lot different when there are more people. Its more fun, less laggy, and an all around better time.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think that would be a good idea, or I'd rather like Steam to expand upon it. There are people I don't want to play L4D with, but those people are great in TF2 (where there is no team killing :p).

-Encourage developers to use Valve's matchmaking service
    -Broaden it to include "Ban for all games/Block from Steam" "Per game ban"

I'm one of the bad guys in L4D though! I play with 2 friends (sometimes 3) and we do things our own way. I pity any random who stumbles into our game, heh.

7. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

That works for me.

Also, me blocking people for team killing in L4D2 is one of many reasons I block people. I also tend to automatically block anyone who has a VAC ban in their history. I also block if people rage quit. Slowly but surely I eliminate the riff-raff that plagues any online game.

8. Irishman macrumors 68030

I know there is a trio of players who thinks I'm one of those jerks, because, as a L4D2 noob, I had just made it to the saferoom, and all my team's health was really low, so I grabbed a healthpack and was cycling to it, when I accidentally hit the molotov.

OMG! I felt so stupid, but didn't get a chance to apologize, cause when the next level loaded, it took me back to the empty lobby.