I wish programs would exit when I close them

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spooner1887, Dec 9, 2010.

1. spooner1887 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there is a setting to change so when I close a program it doesn't still run on the dock.

For example: If I open Numbers from the dock and then close it (by clicking the 'x' in the top left corner of the gui window), it will still be running in the background. The only way for me to close it (even after I've 'x'ed out of the window) is to right click on the Numbers icon and click on 'quit'. Since I have Numbers in the dock, visually I cannot tell that it is still running and using memory.

This is fairly annoying, b/c it is easy to have many of these idle processes running in the background eating up memory and I find myself periodically having to go through my dock to see which processes are still running unbeknownst to me. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can also quit apps with command + Q. Personally, I don't have issues with that. Most apps use so little RAM so it doesn't matter and if they are open, I can continue working much faster.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X doesn't work like Windows. For an app that runs with a single window, like System Preferences, Photo Booth, etc., clicking the red button will close the window and quit the app. For apps like Safari, Word, Pages, Mail, etc. that can have multiple windows open, clicking the red button closes that window, but leaves the app running, in case you want to open another window/document. To quit the app, use Command-Q.

You can also scroll through open apps by pressing the Command key down and hitting the tab key to scroll, then the Q to close the apps you want.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically the "X" closes programs that only use one window
    If a program can run with multiple windows the "X" only closes the window

As suggested, the command-Q will close a program without the uncertainty

5. Queso macrumors G4

You need to unlearn the behaviour that Microsoft has taught you to expect. The Mac has always worked this way.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

You will learn to get used to it and then eventually begin to love it. I did.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't really mind Windows, but I hate it how they close everytime you close the window. I guess that's just the lifetime Mac user in me.

8. MacVibe macrumors regular

I agree completely with the OP, it would nice if there was just a simple setting in system preferences that allowed the computer to behave this way.

I am not a switcher but I am a regular user of mac and pc. What bugs me about the mac implementation is that once the window is closed, the application still occupies the dock, cluttering it up, and it will have a blue dot beneath the dock item that is meant to signify the program is open. I don't think the open apps without windows make any sort of performance hit, so I don't care about that, it is purely a UI issue from my perspective.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Looks like a contradiction there.

Yep.

I frustrate myself when I Quit an app and seconds later realize I need to open another file in that same app.