I wish Siri could be completely hands free

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bbates123, Sep 30, 2016.

1. bbates123 macrumors 6502

First off, let me just say that I'm really enjoying my AW Series 2 and I'm finding that I'm using it a lot more than my original AW. One of the things I'm doing a lot more of now is texting from the watch, mainly because I find the voice dictation to be very very good. But I really wish I could use this feature without having to look at and interact with the screen. I can say "Hey Siri, send a text to Stacey" and it will know who I'm talking about and bring up a screen with a microphone. So at this point I need to look down at the screen and tap on the microphone icon. I wish there was something that could be done to automatically enable the microphone, say maybe, a flick of the wrist, so that you didn't have to look at the screen. This would allow me to easily send texts when I'm on the move. It can be done on the iPhone, I can't imagine there's not a way to do this with the watch somehow.

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

You can do this. You can say "hey Siri, text Stacey how are you today". It will come up with a message to Stacey that says "how are you today" and ask if you want to send it or not. At that point you can say "hey Siri, send" and it will send it. Totally hands free:)

3. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

AirPods may let you do this via Siri when paired to the watch. A wrist-flick would activate accidentally too often. The current system of raising the screen and saying Hey Siri seems fine to me.

4. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

1. Raise your wrist
    2. Say: "Hey Siri, say Nancy I´ll be late tonight."
    3. Lower your wrist
    4. ???
    5. Profit

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I have been using Hey Siri hands-free since day 1 last year. It is one of my favorite things. When I am grilling, and my hands are messy, I just raise my wrist and tell Siri to start a timer. At no times do my greasy fingers need to mess my watch. Pure joy.

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Even better than that, you can put your wrist back down and it'll automatically send. The watch displays something like, "Okay, I'll send this: 'how are you today'", and that's what it'll send.

Trying it myself was like learning to use the Force. :p

7. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I use Siri a lot while driving and I have it turned off on the phone unless plugged in. With both hands on the steering wheel, I just rotate my wrist and say...

Hey Siri, send a text to my wife and tell her I am just leaving.

I rotate my wrist back without even waiting for acknowledgment and my wife gets a text saying "I am just leaving"

I like that Siri translate my extra words correctly and doesn't add the words.

8. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll have to experiment with this some more...thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---
    You still have to press and hold on the crown to say "Hey Siri, send", right?

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

One of the thing I like about SIRI on Apple Watch is when you control music played from iPhone it didn't pause music when you launch it like on iPhone. It just feels so seamless.

10. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

No you just say hey siri when the screen is lit.

11. BrettDS macrumors 65816

No. As long as the watch is awake you can just say hey Siri to summon siri... so just raise your wrist and say hey siri when it lights up.

If you push and hold the crown to summon Siri you don't need to say "hey Siri". You can just tell her what to do.

12. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Just got a Series 2 recently (my first Apple Watch) and I've had to get used to speaking the whole request without pausing so that it will do what I've asked without requiring me to tap the microphone icon to give it further instructions. It took a day or two to get used to it but now that I am, dictating texts on the watch has turned into something I do several times a day.