I wish that Apple would adopt HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trojita, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Trojita macrumors member

Display port doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I was thinking about buying a MBP but the fact that it doesn't have HDMI is stopping me from it. I have a receiver that outputs lossless audio and a tv that both do not have a display port input. Is Apple not accepting HDMI to force you to buy overpriced accessories in order to use a crippled form of digital output?

I'm not trying to say HDMI doesn't have its problems. It has HDCP and Handshaking issues that can cause problems. It also has a royalty fee that MAY deter manufacturers ( but doesn't seem like it with its wide adoption).

2. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I think why Apple sticks with DisplayPort, on top of being royalty free, is there's other features of the spec that seem better suited for PCs like being able to carry a USB signal and daisy chain multiple monitors. It's unfortunate that the folks in charge seem to be lost and no one seems to be taking advantage of the technology. But HDMI also has the advantage of being around for several years before DP.