I wish there was a remote wipe option for the iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Apr 20, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

... or at least a way to deactivate MobileMe on it from anywhere. I don't like having a password lock on my iPhone but, if someone found it, they could go ahead and look at my email and my contact list. I know that if you disable the MobileMe account from the iPhone, it removes all your contacts and emails from the device, but is there any way to do that without being near the iPhone? I don't think there is, but that would be a handy thing if Apple could implement it.

If my iPhone did get lost or stolen, I could change my MobileMe password, but that wouldn't help because all of my previous email would still be stored locally on the device.

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I suppose, if you backed up, you could delete all your email and contacts on mobile me. When the iPhone syncs (if he looks at mail) they'll all disappear - same for contacts.

People do this by accident all the time. Remote wipe would only cause problems, in my opinion.

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Set the passcode lock timer to like 15 minutes - that's what I do. Best of both worlds in my mind.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Agreed. This is what I do.

To the OP, your plan only works if the phone is stolen. I'd be just as worried about someone you know sneaking onto it, getting information, and leaving the phone where they found it.

Using the passcode prevents both situations.. A remote-wipe is only good for one of them.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Honestly, having a passcode lock is the best idea. You set it so it will automatically erase the phone after a certain amount of failed passcode attempts.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Blackberry can be remotely wiped and disabled....

<ducks>

:p

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

From an enterprise environment, both BlackBerrys and iPhones can be remote wiped. :confused:

IIRC, neither can be remotely wiped if you're just a regular ole consumer.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

They should at least allow MobileMe subscribers to do this. if you are running your iPhone on an exchange server you can do a remote wipe. They showed that off when they first introduced 2.0 last year.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I agree... I'm paying $99 a year... I should be able to remote wipe if I want to. I guess I could just delete all of my emails and contacts... hmm... I might also like that 15 minute passcode lock. I was using that for a little bit... I can't remember why I took it off.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Having 'instant' passcode is annoying - but 15 min isn't so bad.

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

instant passcode isn't so bad when it's only 4 digits. i installed a profile on my iphone to get on my employer's vpn. they put in a "strong passcode", it's like 8 digits alphanumeric. it's so annoying, i will probably do without the vpn lol

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

The 'slide to unlock' passcode can be something other than 4 numbers?

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have pass code lock set to instant. I can't see how 15 minutes can be beneficial. If someone was to pick it up, I am sure they would look into it within 15 minutes.

If they are knowledgeable of the iPhone, they can easily just set it to never lock. You don't even need a pass code to do so, and this completely disables the security a pass code would provide.

It takes two seconds to enter 4 digits. I think it is worth the security that it provides.

14. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I believe I read somewhere that, with the new 3.0 software, MobileMe users will be able to find a lost/stolen iPhone and remotely wipe it (if so desired).

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No one is going to steal it while I'm using it.

The point is that after I finish touching my phone, it's pretty much always at least 15 minutes before there's an opportunity for it to go missing.

For example, I may leave my phone at my desk when I go up to get lunch sometimes. Why did I do that? Because I forgot it was on my desk. Why did I forget? Because it's been more than 15 minutes since I touched it.

That's just one example, but they pretty much all work the same:
    <15 minutes since touched - My phone is safely in my sight
    >15 minutes since touched - It might be possible to steal my phone

I never use my phone, set it down, and walk away on purpose.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I heard about that feature in 3.0.
    That sounds pretty cool.

17. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Hate to burst your bubble...

but if you do a hard reset on a passcode locked phone, guess what? Passcode is removed!!! It's been that way since the newest update... yeah, it sucks but is the truth... try it and see how unsecure our iPhones really are!

18. megapopular macrumors 6502a

also a good tip...

if your contacts are stored in outlook on a windows pc and you DO have mobileme, you can quickly erase your contacts and email from a computer if your phone goes missing... that would definitely get rid of contacts. (not sure about emails) then you can just reload your contacts from outlook if you find the iPhone.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Guess what, I just did a hard reset on 2.2.1 and it still asked for my passcode when it booted up.

20. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Passcode is good but not foolproof. The idea of being able to disconnect your iphone from mobileme is a great idea. Just like you can de-register your computers from mobileme sync. Let's hope Apple finds a way.

21. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Dude!

you weren't supposed to really try it! was just trying to spread a little fear to the populous... :)

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

The iPhone does support remote wipe - the ability to kick it off from MobileMe is what is missing. I tested it out once (we run kerio mailserver via exchange activesync) and it's very impressive: within seconds of kicking it off on the server, the phone restarted into it's wipe mode.

After it had finished the phone was completely wiped of any and all data :)

23. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Having remote wipe for MobileMe might persuade me to pay the $99 a year for the service... as it is right now, I feel for me it's a waste of money

24. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I agree... it may very well be a great selling point for Moblie Me to iPhone users !

25. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

How could remote wipe possibly cause problems?

Even if activated accidentally, the next sync would bring the phone back up to date.