Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KwanJH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
The screenshot is my old macbook and im still using it.
I would like to upgrade my ram to 4GB and ssd.

But I don't know which model of ram or ssd is compatible with my macbook, cause i heard some of my friends said that some old macbook is quite picky. So, i wish that all the professional could help me up with this.

Appreciate with your helps.
[doublepost=1469623022][/doublepost]Okie, sorry to mention. I'm still newbie for apple's stuff.

Attachments

• kwan.jpg
    kwan.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 156

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

But I don't know which model of ram or ssd is compatible with my macbook, cause i heard some of my friends said that some old macbook is quite picky. So, i wish that all the professional could help me up with this.

[doublepost=1469623022][/doublepost]Okie, sorry to mention. I'm still newbie for apple's stuff.

DDR2 SODIMM @667Mhz. Max supported RAM in your model is 6GB (1x4GB, 1x2GB modules), though Apple's official stance is that it won't go beyond 4GB (2x2GB modules). As DDR2 RAM is EOL it's not worth throwing the wallet at 6GB RAM. 4GB would make a massive difference and costs about £20/$30 from Amazon. Plus installing in pairs is always a good idea.

Any SSD will work fine. However due to your SATA bottleneck of 1.5Gb/s, it would be an absolute waste of money to go for something like an 850 EVO. Go budget like Crucial or Kingston. If you're replacing your 120GB HDD, you can pick up a 120GB SSD from Amazon from about £35/$40. Doubling the storage to 250GB will set you back about £60/$70.

EDIT: Ha, there's actually a user on MacRumors called 667MHz! Who'd have thunk it. Putting the '@' tagged them automatically :D

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Although sourcing the components yourself will be cheaper, if you're not confident there's value to be had in talking to the folks at OWC (www.macsales.com) for the parts as well as any tools and instructions you might need.

KwanJH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
DDR2 SODIMM @667Mhz. Max supported RAM in your model is 6GB (1x4GB, 1x2GB modules), though Apple's official stance is that it won't go beyond 4GB (2x2GB modules). As DDR2 RAM is EOL it's not worth throwing the wallet at 6GB RAM. 4GB would make a massive difference and costs about £20/$30 from Amazon. Plus installing in pairs is always a good idea.

Any SSD will work fine. However due to your SATA bottleneck of 1.5Gb/s, it would be an absolute waste of money to go for something like an 850 EVO. Go budget like Crucial or Kingston. If you're replacing your 120GB HDD, you can pick up a 120GB SSD from Amazon from about £35/$40. Doubling the storage to 250GB will set you back about £60/$70.

EDIT: Ha, there's actually a user on MacRumors called 667MHz! Who'd have thunk it. Putting the '@' tagged them automatically :D

so, for my macbook ram, I have to choose those ram run exactly or below 667Mhz ?
SSD, I'm quite confusing. Whats the 850 evo stand for ? I been searching through internet, is too many.
[doublepost=1469624804][/doublepost]
Although sourcing the components yourself will be cheaper, if you're not confident there's value to be had in talking to the folks at OWC (www.macsales.com) for the parts as well as any tools and instructions you might need.

I found something useful in this websites. :D

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
so, for my macbook ram, I have to choose those ram run exactly or below 667Mhz ?

Yes, you need DDR2 SODIMM modules at 667MHz. Not higher.

850 EVO is a Samsung-branded model of SSD. They are much more expensive for higher performance. However due to the age of your machine, it will not be able to utilise the increase in performance.

Basically, don't buy the expensive ones as your computer won't see any benefit. Go for a cheap SSD.

Hope this is clearer.

KwanJH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
Yes, you need DDR2 SODIMM modules at 667MHz. Not higher.

850 EVO is a Samsung-branded model of SSD. They are much more expensive for higher performance. However due to the age of your machine, it will not be able to utilise the increase in performance.

Basically, don't buy the expensive ones as your computer won't see any benefit. Go for a cheap SSD.

Hope this is clearer.

Yes, I get what you mean.
Last question, my macbook is using SSD 2.5" right ?
Thank you very much dude, appreciate your help :D

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

Bookmark this site for reference: http://www.everymac.com/

KwanJH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
That's right, 2.5" SATA. Any will work perfectly.

Have a lovely rest of the week. :)

Hello, sorry for another question.
I wondering, if i change my current HHD to SSD..then how do i install mac os and others software into the new ssd ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.