I wish we had Access for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ShaneBunting, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

I've been learning a lot about Access in college and how it works. I can't help but thinking more and more that I wish we had a native version on the Mac. Sure, I can use Boot Camp. But that requires buying Windows. That means having to switch constantly too. I'd love to have the databases in my OS X filesystem / user folders.

Has anyone thought this or found a better solution?

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

They teach Access in college? That makes me sad.

FileMaker is the closest alternative on Mac - http://www.filemaker.com/ and there are utilities out there that will help you convert an Access MDB file.

However there are much better ways to learn about database design than using Access.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Access is one of those simple but yet powerful apps that can make life so much easier. I'm using FileMaker Pro for my needs, but I'd much rather use Access.

4. bigfatipod macrumors member

Alternatives

Access is useful and nice in some ways. Some small businesses or departments can get by with it. But I find its not nearly as widely used as the other Office applications.

FileMaker is likely out of your price range (and not being taught in school). And, like you said, you could run in Bootcamp with a copy of Windows.

Another idea might be to try the corresponding applications of Open or Libre office - both are free. I believe the Libre office counterpart is 'Base'; http://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/.

I've never used Base, but it might be worth trying out. Can't hurt at no cost.

5. NexusHubs macrumors newbie

NexusHubs

Microsoft won't release Access for Mac, but you may expect a similar product to appear on office.com soon.