I wish you could activate Siri via a different method...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Oct 13, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I hate holding down the home button for 2 seconds thing...with the current Voice Control, it seems to be kind of inconsistent, I'm always like...did I hold it down long enough? Do I keep holding?

I'd prefer a double tap of the home button or triple tap...something where you're not guessing if you're doing it correctly plus a double tap would be faster. In the 2 seconds I'm waiting for Siri to activate, I could unlock the phone and be in the Phone app if needed...faster than waiting and asking it to call someone.

2. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

You can turn on the lift to use function. Lift it to your ear and speak.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

How about if I just say in a firm and commanding voice; "Computer!"

4. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

That could be good...I wonder how fast it is to activate when doing this though. Instant or you have to wait a couple seconds?

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Tapping on the screen won't work because it's too risky for an accidental activation. The home button is perfect because you can feel for the home button without looking at the phone, which allows it to be used easier when driving etc.

6. blueicedj macrumors 6502

What I've been thinking since they showed off Siri is that they really need a dedicated button on the side of the phone for it. I'm hoping if Siri does well with this iPhone they'll add a new button for the next iPhone (Even though Apple hates buttons...)

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Double tap is for browsing open apps so that wouldn't work but I guess they could let you do a triple to open Siri if you don't have any of the accessibility functions set set to turn on using the triple home. Not a bad idea actually

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

9. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

That's what I was thinking!

10. PsychOK macrumors member

It would be great if down the road Siri could respond when you call her/it's name. For example, in the car you could just say "Siri", and once the phone recognizes the name it starts listening. That way you could really have a completely hands free experience.