I won an old MBA, but want a new MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CAWjr, Jun 11, 2012.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

My wife won a new MBA at a conference last week. I haven't seen the specs on it yet, but I can only assume that it is a base model 11" from the last generation. With the announcement of the new MBAs today, what are the chances that the Apple Store would let me swap the old MBA out for one of the new ones, without any receipt, if I explain to them how I obtained this one?

I'm really not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth here, but before I open up the packaging, I was curious if I even had a chance to upgrade to the latest & greatest.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes you are trying to look a gift horse in the mouth. :rolleyes:
    Don't open the new MBAir that she won, sell it and buy a new one.

3. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

You are right...that's exactly what I am doing. :cool:

Unfortunately, it's hard not to look that gift horse in the mouth when a sexy new horse just walked into the ring!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You win a computer and you're complaining that it might be an older model? I wouldn't give a **** if it was a 2008 MacBook Air. It's a free computer. It's not like your wife needs to pay 20% taxes on it.

Anyways, what jessica. said. Don't open and sell it.

5. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Often when you win something like this the company you won it from will have it directly shipped to you & there should be some way of identifying where the item was purchased and/ or an invoice included in the box. You might be able to exchange it, unopened along with additional cash to purchase the newer model MBA.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

It's worth a shot. My guess is that the fulfillment company purchased it outside the 14 day window, though. If you really want a new one, then see what you can get for it on the MarketPlace or eBay. You may get a Form 1099 based on the retail value, though, so you'll wind up paying income tax on the inflated value, though (assuming you live in the US).

7. Beanoir, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

oh god yeah, i'd get rid of that last generation piece of junk as quick as possible if I were you, in fact I don't even know why you accepted the prize in the first place, they insulted you fella...:rolleyes: