I wonder about Watch inventory

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Newtons Apple, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Newtons Apple, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

So many selections to make, it must be a nightmare for Apple in stocking this new device category. It will be a challenge for the stores.

Apple is making millions but with all the different configurations . . . . .

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

iWatch? I can tell you're from the iPhone forum….

How did Apple manage to sell the iPods and iPhone 5c in so many different colors? Many companies do just fine with many more SKUs than Apple's under 65 SKUs or so for the Apple Watch collections.

3. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Apple used to have a really simple mobile device lineup, but it has grown substantially. With the iPhone for example, not only do they now have three screen sizes, but they also have three colors, two types of cellular (maybe more if you count China), and three memory sizes.

Even with the watch and all of its variations, Apple still has a MUCH simpler product lineup than most other tech companies.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I go completely the other direction, in that I think it's ridiculous that you're unable to buy whatever combination of watch and band your heart desires.

I guess it's possible that BTO will be made available once Apple have a few months' sales data under their belts, and hence have an understanding of which bands are the most popular.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Why do you think it is ridiculous?

You can buy whatever combination you wan't in the form of additional strap purchases. The sport strap is basically free with purchase anyway so it's really not that big of a deal.

6. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

If it's free, why does it cost $49 when purchased separately?

Why can't I order a strapless 42mm Sport for $350 with a Leather Loop at $149? Why do I have to pay the extra $49 for the Sport Band that I'll never use?

What if I'm hankering after a 38mm Space Black, but only want to wear it with a pink Sport Band?

7. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I removed the i so it no longer disturbs you and one other;)

I am sure Apple will do fine with the 65 additional SKUs, my question is about the inventory and them having the combination of different watches and straps available.

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I get what you are saying, but the reality is that some combinations are going to look terrible and apple are going to make you work to ruin the looks of their watch :)

Plus they are not uncharging the watch by $50 because they are selling separately for $50. It probably costs them a couple bucks to make so it really is more of a throw in when bundled with the watch.

9. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Does the sports band come in different sizes? (I don't mean 38/42) I mean, length
    How many colours will it come in, as standard, with a watch?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It comes with both S/M and M/L pieces in the same box so it'll fit all wrist range.

11. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I'd imagine that this does enter their thinking with the Edition.

For the 'lesser' watches they could always have warnings: 'Do you really want to proceed with this combination? Do you? REALLY?!?'

One thing I've only now realised is that Apple haven't made available any bands with aluminium slotty things. If you buy the Sport your only trade-up option is the (to my mind very unattractive) Leather Loop; otherwise you'll have a clash of metals. It looks like they're conceding Sport straps to third parties from the outset.