Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
With so many people involved in the production etc of the new iPhone, I reckon it would be quite naive to think that not a single user on here has seen or held one.

Obviously sworn to secrecy etc, but also interesting to think that people among us may be in the know.

:apple:

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I know someone who has. His maintenance of secrecy is (nearly) absolute. He likes his job and wants to keep it.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Depends on what level. Those who are lower on the totem pole like Apple store employees are specifically prohibited from visiting rumor sites.

There are apple store employees on this forum. Or there were at some point. I'm sure they ARE prohibited, but there isn't really any way for Apple to monitor that. At least I hope not haha.

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
There are apple store employees on this forum. Or there were at some point. I'm sure they ARE prohibited, but there isn't really any way for Apple to monitor that. At least I hope not haha.

Me too. I wouldn't want to be limited in what forums I could access because they're afraid I might spill the beans on something.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Depends on what level. Those who are lower on the totem pole like Apple store employees are specifically prohibited from visiting rumor sites.

From what I understand, having spoken with Genius employees, it's not they're banned from lurking/reading forums like here, but they can't register and participate.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
With so many people involved in the production etc of the new iPhone, I reckon it would be quite naive to think that not a single user on here has seen or held one.

Obviously sworn to secrecy etc, but also interesting to think that people among us may be in the know.

You've got to be kidding.

Even if they did, they'd violate their NDA, lose their credentials with Apple and be sued silly.

Apple is in the KILL MODE... going Nuclear on anyone, and anything.

They are after nothing but revenge at this point.

Their afterburners lit by Steve Jobs... there's no stopping Apple Now.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
If he is so concerned about secrecy, why did he tell you?:p

That's why I said nearly :cool:

He's actually a bit miffed at the stuff that does get out given how much he and his team have to endure when handling the devices in the wild.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You've got to be kidding.

Even if they did, they'd violate their NDA, lose their credentials with Apple and be sued silly.

Apple is in the KILL MODE... going Nuclear on anyone, and anything.

They are after nothing but revenge at this point.

Their afterburners lit by Steve Jobs... there's no stopping Apple Now.

Pretty true.

Last edited:

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Wow, that stinks. And I wanted to work for Apple.

I am sure they attempt to BAN them in order to prevent them from using information from these rumor sites while working. For example, when I worked at Best Buy, myself and many others told customers about the rumors we saw on here. If they asked, I told them.

In an Apple store, from an Apple employee, that would be bad... The only person I have ever gotten to comment on Apple rumors is my friend who is an Apple Retail employee. We discussed our thoughts on the purported design and the idea of the iPad Mini and how many people bothered him every single day about it.

The retail employees do not have any more information than we do. They find out when we do. So, I think it is more to prevent them from using the information they find on these sites while on the job instead of the "I do not know" answer they are supposed to give.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

How would it be naive? How are any of us on here in a position to see the new iPhone? We are just customers.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I would not give out that information if I was working for apple. No one pays my bills and I would not like to loose my job.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
From the sheer number of people on this site and the exposure it gets.

Most of the people on this website are just people who are a fan of Apple products and like to discuss them. We don't have special access or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.