I wonder what Steve will have to say about this...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sesshi, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

We had a thread about this when it was first released, but why would it give him nightmares?

There are certain people who can't use their fingers (or don't have fingers) on the iPhone, or simply want a stylus.

Coming from a Palm platform, I was happy to give up the stylus myself--I mostly used my nail anyway--but I can understand that others may feel different.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Seems like a perfectly valid idea to me. A bit on the redundant side, but perfectly valid.

4. Linuss macrumors regular

I never got the draw towards getting a stylus. We have 10 perfectly good appendages built in already! Well, usually.

5. DaveOZ macrumors regular

Handy for girls with long finger nails. I know my wife struggles a bit with her iPhone but can't imagine her being bothered with one of those.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I find a stylus is very handy for drawing sketches.

And on the Newton, entering text with handwriting recognition.

Neat idea. I may pick up one next weekend when I visit Akihabara.

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

You know I'd probably get something like that so I could use the iPhone/Touch properly , the darn thing is so small ........maybe if :apple: made one around the size of a Macbook , then ...........

now there's an idea Steve :p

8. rizajj macrumors member

Wow thanks I am definitely getting that.looks great. though I wish I could go buy it at the apple store.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That's interesting. I have long nails (natural), and have no problems with the iPhone. My nails are long enough that I actually type with my nails and not my fingers, and when I break a nail, it takes me a few days to adjust to the feel of the finger on the keys.

With the iPhone, I don't even have to think about how to position it to use it with my fingertips.

Anyway, back on topic. :eek:

10. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

It was just that he made a huge hoopla about styli, and how they were redundant.

11. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Why would somebody without fingers buy a touchscreen phone?

12. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

There's a review between that Japanese stylus and the Pogo. Turns out while the the stylus looks great, and has the sim ejector, it doesn't work well. The review said it required more pressure than you'd expect and it has to meet the screen flat or it won't work. While the Pogo, a little fatter, it's light weight and less pressure needed, so it worked much better overall, especially for drawing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=551996&highlight=pogo

13. cenetti macrumors 6502

14. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Agreed - a stylus is very useful for the sketch applications - a finger pad size when touching the screen can be much too big in some ways. Worth it if you're using the iPhone in a way that needs near pixel accuracy. (Is that how well can you aim your click app still on the App store?)
    Hmm - second look at the nib - unless there is a minimum cross surface area required to register a key stroke/"finger" input, it's a bit of a big stylus, no?)

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I've seen posts from quite a few iPhone owners without fingers.

Some have prosthetic hands. Some are paralyzed and use mouth-sticks to click devices.

There are other reasons to get a stylus. Being able to draw, get a signature for field apps, enter foreign characters, constant use in cold weather, use with large fingers, field apps with large numbers of onscreen choices and so forth.

As for those who talk about Jobs and his "beliefs"... remember that he's a salesman, not a UI designer or engineer. He says what he needs to make a sale. For example, he also originally said that third party apps were a no-no. Pressure forced a change in that idea. Ditto for the original carrier monthly royalties concept. Ditto for PowerPC cpus vs Intel. Nothing is set in stone.

Of course, stylus use is nothing compared to the rumors that Jobs was secretly showing businesses a version of the phone with a physical keyboard. Imagine the fanboy angst if that went on sale.

:)

17. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Kinda takes the "multi" out of multi-touch; unless you get two and use them like chopsticks, haha ;)