Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voragon

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Glad to see this thread. Have been curious about the absence of the modern buckle band. Didn't order the watch model with it since wasn't sure how it would fit but planned to order it separately and was surprised it was totally unavailable. Got the classic SS will order a modern buckle band IF they come in.

coreypdx

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
I order exactly dead on 8:01am here in the UK and managed to get confirmed date for my 38mm Steel with Brown modern buckle for 12th May :)

I ordered the same one. Did you get a date range? Or exactly May 12th? I got May 13th - May 27th. Ordered at 12:06 PM.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Glad to see this thread. Have been curious about the absence of the modern buckle band. Didn't order the watch model with it since wasn't sure how it would fit but planned to order it separately and was surprised it was totally unavailable. Got the classic SS will order a modern buckle band IF they come in.

I tried on the modern buckle today. I'm still unsure of it.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Because of the appearance or how the clasp works?

It seems less substantial in person. Thin, maybe? Not sure. I didn't like the pink. Too pale. The other colors were better. If I get one, I think it'll be the brown.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Ordered my wife's modern buckle at 3:04am eastern. May 13th-27th. Ordered 38mm Milanese at 3:07am eastern, 4/24 but wound up canceling that one and going with the 42mm Milanese order I made at 3:30am for a delivery of May 13th-27th :-(.

Oh well.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Ordered the Modern Buckle Watch at launch, and got a 13-27 May at 12:03am ET.

I managed to order the wrong size band (oops, wife hates me :D ), and reordered just last night - Sunday, April 12th, with the medium band, and got a 14-28 May delivery date.

Very odd. Only one day out since the launch rush?

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I want one of these eventually, probably in blue. I'd really like some other colors, especially red, with the SS buckle instead of the gold.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Those worried about the stiffness of strap....

Just came off Apple chat and he said this "Yes it would soften much like regular high quality non smart watches with a good leather strap" and that put my mind at ease! Was really worrying about my choice in strap but now I feel okay :D

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I ordered the brown modern buckle for my wife at 3:07am, and got May 13-27 delivery. I really hope the sizing and my measuring is accurate. I'd hate for it to be too long and she can't get the right size for months or never. She was also interested in getting one in blue to switch it out. Guess that's not happening any time soon either.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just came off Apple chat and he said this "Yes it would soften much like regular high quality non smart watches with a good leather strap" and that put my mind at ease! Was really worrying about my choice in strap but now I feel okay :D

That's a relief. The one I tried yesterday was stiff and felt starched. It was off-putting after trying the thicker,softer Classic Buckle. The buckle was a pain to get matched up and locked together, too. And when apart, the buckle was so light and had a tin feel to it. It felt much more substantial locked, of course.

This band has been a favorite of mine since the watch was debuted. It was a little disappointing in person, due to the starched feel.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
That's a relief. The one I tried yesterday was stiff and felt starched. It was off-putting after trying the thicker,softer Classic Buckle. The buckle was a pain to get matched up and locked together, too. And when apart, the buckle was so light and had a tin feel to it. It felt much more substantial locked, of course.

This band has been a favorite of mine since the watch was debuted. It was a little disappointing in person, due to the starched feel.

I wasn't able to go see the watch or try it on so I'm really hoping what I was told is true.... It's the most beautiful buckle in my opinion. Was stuck between all colours and I eventually went for brown I do like the pink so maybe in the future will purchase that

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The colors looked nice in person. The clasp is also secure even though it initially goes together magnetically. It does lock and can't just be pulled apart. It's a clever mechanism, just a bit fiddly to put together.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The colors looked nice in person. The clasp is also secure even though it initially goes together magnetically. It does lock and can't just be pulled apart. It's a clever mechanism, just a bit fiddly to put together.

This is the one buckle mechanism Apple created from he ground up, and patented. And I suspect that as you say there's more to work out with it due to its complicated nature. Note it is only offered in the 38mm size since the beginning. My theory on it is that not only was it a complicated buckle to develop and produce, with intricate parts to assemble, but Apple also saw it as appealing to women. And women are used to "fiddly" claps on jewelry. So with production delays they decided to use it only for the 38mm, just like the leather loop is offered only for the 42mm. Once demand subsides, I would expect to see both bands in both sizes. But for now, they hedged their bets. One possible side benefit is that Apple expected fewer women to buy the watch on launch day, and therefore demand for the modern buckle would probably be less than any other, and they were right.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Interesting theory. I do think if they end up producing one for the 42 mm, they need to thicken up the leather a bit. The band is so wide even on the 38 mm, that at the current thickness, proportionally the band feels almost ribbonlike because it's so thin. It doesn't help that the buckle is rather large.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I'm planning to look at the modern buckle in person the first chance I get at a tryon appointment once I can drive again (yay surgery). Alas, all the appointments after my next checkup are booked... bah. I think I need a large, but I never felt that I have particularly large wrists, so I want to confirm that.

I'd like to order a black one. I really wanted a black leather loop because I want infinite size adjustment in a band that looks a bit more casual than the milanese loop I ordered, but 38mm is my watch size (I wear that size now) and as we all know, there's no 38mm leather loops to be had.

I'm a woman, yes, but I think -- like anything else -- whether a band is right for you is a subjective thing. If you like it, wear it!

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
I'm planning to look at the modern buckle in person the first chance I get at a tryon appointment once I can drive again (yay surgery). Alas, all the appointments after my next checkup are booked... bah. I think I need a large, but I never felt that I have particularly large wrists, so I want to confirm that.

I'd like to order a black one. I really wanted a black leather loop because I want infinite size adjustment in a band that looks a bit more casual than the milanese loop I ordered, but 38mm is my watch size (I wear that size now) and as we all know, there's no 38mm leather loops to be had.

I'm a woman, yes, but I think -- like anything else -- whether a band is right for you is a subjective thing. If you like it, wear it!

Couldn't agree more, the whole idea of the modern buckle being the "womans" buckle is wrong because I've looked on instagram and a lot of men try it and like it :apple:

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Couldn't agree more, the whole idea of the modern buckle being the "womans" buckle is wrong because I've looked on instagram and a lot of men try it and like it :apple:

I ordered a 38mm SS with black modern buckle as a surprise wedding gift for my fiancée. I ordered at 12:02am PST. My ship dates are 5/13-5/27. I wouldn't mind if it came earlier,but either date is just before the wedding so it's ok. I really hope she likes it.

Personally I just liked the way it looked. I think it's the perfect blend between tech and classy,yet very modern.
Now you guys brought up the idea of it not feeling comfortable,gives me some concern :(

I just hope she likes it

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I tried the pink band on in-store, and it was really, really comfortable. Maybe the one they had at my store was just broken in more, but it fit like a glove but didn't pinch at all, and the clasp was very secure. Now if they would just open them up for order again, I would buy one to add to my Milanese Loop!

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
I ordered a 38mm SS with black modern buckle as a surprise wedding gift for my fiancée. I ordered at 12:02am PST. My ship dates are 5/13-5/27. I wouldn't mind if it came earlier,but either date is just before the wedding so it's ok. I really hope she likes it.

Personally I just liked the way it looked. I think it's the perfect blend between tech and classy,yet very modern.
Now you guys brought up the idea of it not feeling comfortable,gives me some concern :(

I just hope she likes it

I'm sure you will be fine, and with such an expensive item which is like impossible to get a chance to try on I'm sure they'll allow some kind of exchange for straps.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

I just hope she likes it

I tried it on in the store (38mm with small pink modern buckle) and it felt great. I didn't find the buckle hard to fasten. I think your fiancee will love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.