I wonder when iPad (5th gen) will be released

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seajewel, Oct 23, 2012.

1. seajewel macrumors 6502

Of course no one knows.. but I'm wondering how this is going to affect the usual update cycle of the iPad. I imagine the 5th gen will be redesigned using the design of iPad mini, likely a lot lighter like the iPhone 5 is a lot lighter than prev generations.. I'm really looking forward to a thinner, lighter full-sized iPad (I couldn't believe how light the iPhone 5 is! it feels like a toy). I was going to wait til next March or buy an iPad mini (only if it has retina, so that's out, ugh disappointing as hell specs and price), but now that the iPad has been updated.. I might buy it now anyways despite no change in design, if the next one won't be released for a good while.

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

This is my exact question to myself as well, is the 5th gen coming in March or Oct/Nov now?

3. rnbgrilla macrumors member

thats the same thing i thought, "when is the 5th gen ipad gonna be release,
    since, i got very up set that they pushed out the 4th gen 6 months later.
    even if it was a little spec bump, they should of not done that, too all the people who just bought the NEW ipad.
    now i guessing this time next year we will see a 5th gen ipad, 2nd gen ipad mini..... and so on.....

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

I think this "4th generation" is more of a refresh. 5th generation will probably look like a bigger iPad mini/iPhone 5 and be out next Spring or Summer.

5. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

After today I wouldn't be surprised if it was next month.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Probably the day after returns are no longer accepted at electronic stores for their Christmas return policy.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

No one knows for sure, but there is a lot more competition in the tablet market these days, with Microsoft just about to release their tablet for the upcoming holiday peak selling season. In prior years there was not really much competition for Apple. Now it is not ideal to have a product that is 7/8 months old when everyone else has new products or updates. My guess is Apple will want to pitch the updates of products like the iPad in Sept / Oct. I don't believe you will see another update until Sept next year. I think all we are seeing is a shift in the update cycle rather that more frequent updates.

However it is a rapidly changing market and Apple will have to continue to innovate with the competition. As RIM learnt if you snooze you lose.

8. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

they only released the 4 so early since they changed the adapter. So they wanted all their products they are selling to use the same adapter. Probably won't see 5 until next year around this time.

9. seajewel thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually leaning towards picking up a refurbished 3. They are great deals right now and that way I can resell next year when 5 comes out if it's a good upgrade. the 4 is nice but I don't play games so I'm guessing I don't really need the extra processing power. and this way I don't care too much whether the 5th gen comes out early or late. Either way I'll be happy. I have this suspicion that the 5th gen is going to ditch 16gb (it ought to) and drop resale prices even further anyways..