I wonder why my keyboard lights up when in sleep mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nameste, Apr 2, 2017.

1. nameste macrumors regular

I got my first MacBook Pro 3 days ago and I have never used Macos before.I just leave the system energy mode on screen closes about 1-2 mins later but I see sometimes keyboard lights up and drains battery.What should I do? Should I leave the system off and keep the cover closed when not in use?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

What model, what OS, and what programs are you running that might wake the machine up for notifications and such?

3. nameste thread starter macrumors regular

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

You'll know soon if it's still a problem, I suppose, if you don't notice it waking itself up. There's more at the Mac Rumors forum link in the post you linked to.

5. nameste thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think I have bigger problem. After 6 cycles I already lost %3 battery life from %102.5 to %99.4. 2 hours ago I started to keep power plugged in 7/24 and now the battery is down to %99.3. What should I do to keep the battery from degrading that fast?Keep plugged in 7/24 or use until %20 and charge back until it reaches %100 ?

6. ventmore macrumors 6502a

Best thing to do is take whatever battery app you're using, and drag it to the trash so you can't see the battery status. :)

Battery capacity fluctuates all the time. Try not to run the battery all the way down too often, but apart from that, use it however you need to and don't worry about it.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

It's normal for the battery charge to decrease while plugged in. It used to show in the battery percentage (if you check it under the battery icon on the top of the screen), but now the percentage always shows 100% unless it gets below something like 96%. Then it charges again.

8. nameste thread starter macrumors regular

ok so in the end whats the best method to maintain battery at maximum ?Leave plugged in 7/24 or %20-%100

9. ventmore macrumors 6502a

If you're near the charger, then leave it plugged in......if not, then use it on battery for as long as you need...though try not to let it drain to 0% too often.

If this is a laptop which is used as a desktop 99% of the time, then feel free to leave it plugged in 24/7, but try to use it on battery and run it down to say 20-30% once every month or so.

Honestly, this question has been asked and answered so many times on here, and you'll find many different views on the subject, but the bottom line tends to be......just use the machine as you need to, and don't obsess about battery health. :)