I would forget about Push if...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jan 9, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

...Apple made iChat for the iPhone. If iChat was included with the iPhone, it could run in the background and get notifications! Even if it didn't have to run in the background, Apple could use it's current MobileMe technology to send your IMs to the home screen! This would prevent them from having to route other people's traffic through their servers.

I can just imagine seeing an iChat status icon in the status bar... that would rock!

If that's ALL Apple did instead of Push, I think I'd be happy.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple decided that the only way they can really do this is with push...which they can't get to work right.

So you'd be happy without the push service just so long as Apple can make their push service work.

Glad we cleared that up.

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I think he means he'd be happy if Apple had a background IM app running, even if 3rd parties didn't get push or background processes.

5. macaco74 macrumors regular

This has been quite frustrating - would be nice if they could focus on the features they announced and promised to deliver.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I understand that, but my point is that Apple decided that having an iChat program checking the server every 60 seconds would be a huge battery drain and thus would never, ever do this.

So maybe I misread the post...I took it as a "maybe Apple should do this" kind of post, to which my answer was "no, they'll never do this."

On the other hand, if this post was more like "I wish Apple would do this, and I wish I could fly like Superman" then, yeah, I understand the feeling. (But if we're going to wish for impossible things, why not just wish for the push service to work?)

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That's what Push is. :rolleyes:
    iChat wouldn't be able to give you Push notification unless you has push is activated.

Hahaha... I wish.

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What I mean is... Apple AREADY HAS push working. It's called MobileMe and it's not just email... it pushes contacts and calendars too. If Apple built in a native iChat app that supported the same push technologies as MobileMe, it should work. If they can't implement push for it, they could let it run in the background since Apple can do whatever they want (they are not restricted to the AppStore rules).

I really think something like that could work!

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Apple should just license whatever RIM has patented on push tech and call it a day.

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Here's an idea, how about they just get PUSH to work for everything.
    Email, IM, AppStore, FaceBook, etc.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Does Push really check the server every 60 seconds? Then how does MobileMe work? Is the iPhone checking to see if I modified my contacts or checking my email every 60 seconds? If so, how come I don't see a decrease in battery life? How would this be different for iChat? The idea of push was to save battery power wasn't it? Tell me if I'm missing something here.

12. markgamber macrumors 6502

ROFL! Gotta incorporate the word "Hero" in there somewhere, too.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, your first post was right. MobileMe uses push, and if an iChat application used it, everything would work great.

Basically, your first POST makes 100% sense, but it was the title that was throwing me: "forget about push."

That's not really what you meant. You meant "they should make an iChat app that uses push." That headline would have matched the post better. Like I said, the O.P. is fine, I just got a bit confused since the thread title didn't really match it.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oh I see what you're saying. I meant that I'd forget about "Push" in the "3rd Party Push Notification Service" sense. I was just going to say that Apple could make a background iChat app and then as I was typing that, I realized that Apple DOES have push working (and working nicely). Why ruin it with 3rd party crap? And yes... most of the AppStore is crap and I wouldn't want them sending data to my iPhone when I'm not running them.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This raises an interesting point.

If they ever do get 3rd party push working I would really hope that it has to be a setting WITHIN each application. I can easily see myself wanting it on for some apps but not for others.

A global "on/off" isn't going to cut it.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah... imagine this...

Pop! New friend on FaceBook! So what? Close.
    Pop! SMS Message! Not now... close.
    Pop! You have an IM! Close.
    Pop! Myspace Friend! Grrrrr.... no. Close.

I hope every developer doesn't want to pop-up messages for everything. I can see advertisements coming too... noooooo!

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I think this may be the quagmire Apple may have gotten themselves into.

Even *if* you wanted to address all those pop ups, could you imagine opening and closing and opening and closing and opening and closing all those apps? :eek:

18. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

i would forget push if... Apple replaced my iphone by the next multitasking iphone generation.