I would like to kill Apple, due to their incompitance in writing drivers!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thejadedmonkey, Mar 20, 2011.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Their windows drivers are so horrible, I don't think I've encountered anything like this before, in my life.

I was listening to music at Starbucks on Windows... and starbucks closed. I closed my computer, unplugged the headphones, and went home....

At home, I opened my computer, and there was no sound. I rebooted. Still no sound. I rebooted into OS X. No sound... there was a big X over the volume pop-up.

So here I am thinking that my 4+ year old MBP's speakers died. Then I remembered it went "Bing" when I rebooted it. So I plugged my headphones into the computer. and they worked. Then I unplugged my headphones, and the computer is working again.

This was rediculous! It's a $2000 computer Apple, advertised as being able to run Windows. At least make it so I can use the computer under OS X if I have Windows installed! :mad:

/rant

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Wait, how is this not a WINDOWS driver issue?

3. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

1) It's completely a Windows driver issue... If Apple could write decent drivers for Windows this never would have happened.

2) There's no reason that, when I booted into OS X, it still didn't work.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It sounds to me like the problem lies with the headphone jack, not the Windows drivers. It's a common problem for the jack to "stick" when removing headphones.

5. chrono1081, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I think this is your problem... I had something similar happen with an ipod.

7. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

You do realise that Apple, like almost any other laptop manufacturer doesn't write any of the core windows drivers - they simply use those supplied by the IC/chipset manufacturers and occasionally stick their name on it.

For example, the wireless drivers will most likely be broadcom or atheros depending on which MBP you have. Sound drivers realtek. Graphics Intel/Nvidia/ATI-AMD. Ethernet Realtek, Intel or broadcom. So forth. Of course some of the drivers are supplied by Windows, such as generic AHCI/USB/Firewire etc.

So if you truly do have a windows driver issue (and it doesn't sound like you do), you have many a recourse than simply relying on what Apple gives you. As you do on almost any other manufacturers laptop.

8. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

So... The Apple supplied windows drivers don't work reliably on a $2000 machine. Seeing as it was advertised as being "Windows compatible", I have issues.

However, assuming Apple is staffed by incompetent monkeys who write Windows code, when I boot up into OS X shouldn't it "just work". Seriously, the issue I had in Windows should in no way effect OS X, unless they're using some non-standard code - EFI I'm looking at you.

And it wasn't a stuck headphone jack... Otherwise Windows would have just told me it was playing through the headphone jack, but instead it didn't even list the headphone jack. Likewise, in OS X it didn't even let me adjust the volume.

9. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, so it's probably a problem with the headphone jack. Spend less time defacing the "incompetent monkeys" and more time following the suggestions in the thread to solve the problem.

First: If it's happening in both Windows and Mac, it's a hardware problem.

Second: It was mentioned that the problem was probably a stuck headphone jack. It wasn't working, so then you plugged in your headphones and unplugged them again, and it started working. (The exact symptoms of a stuck jack.) Why would you continue to believe it's a driver issue?

10. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

It really is weird, sounding almost like a hardware problem. Can you do me a favour and see if any sound kext's are being loaded in osx? Or if system profiler says anything along the lines of "No Built-in Audio.".

If kexts are being loaded perhaps look at the kernel log and see if theres any error messages being spit out.

This might be worth a trip to the genius bar for some trouble shooting and possible warranty exchange.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Can't you just listen to your music in OSX? why in the world would you need to boot into Windows to listen to music?

12. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because it's rather hard to write C# code in OS X, and so far Apple doesn't let you run OS X in a virtual machine ;)
    LittleOdie, did you miss the part where I stated
    Again we go back to Apple's horrific drivers in Windows. Even if it was a stuck headphone jack, Windows would show that it's reading headphones plugged in, or a digital audio out (as per, well, every other PC manufacture's drivers)... not that it's playing through internal speakers. Even if it was a stuck headphone jack, that doesn't excuse Apple for writing such horrific drivers.

alvindarkness: I checked console and there's no errors for audio, but right now the audio is working normally, I don't know how to check for what kexts are loaded though.

13. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Does Apple write the Windows drivers?

14. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Run your bootcamp via VMWare or Parallels..

15. Matth345 macrumors newbie

Got to love all the people jumping in to defend and blaming your hardware which is clearly not the problem. At a guess I'd say windows drivers were somewhat of an afterthought which is not good.

16. waynep macrumors 6502

OMG . .. Some common sense is in order here.

Headphone jack problem in Windows. Headphone jack problem still there after you have rebooted to OSX right? . . . . Hmmm . .Windows drivers are somehow still involved after rebooting into OSX?? Not hardly. Two different operating systems, same issue . . . gotta be hardware. Sorry if that's not the answer you would like to hear, but it's the answer.

c# on Mac: http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:OSX

17. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Except the hardware continued to malfunction after he rebooted into OS X.

We're not jumping in to defend anyone. The OP came here with a list of symptoms, and we're trying to help him diagnose.

I still hold that it's a hardware problem, but I hope the OP finds an easier fix. I'm not here to defend Apple or intentionally mislead anyone, please don't shoot the messenger. :)

18. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Try removing the battery for a few minutes while unplugged
    or
    Command+Option+P+R until you hear two beeps = reset NVRAM
    or
    Hold D during startup for Apple Hardware Test.

19. iowamensan, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011

iowamensan macrumors 6502

I guarantee you the problem was with your headphone jack. If you had looked in the jack, you would have seen a red light on. The jack gets stuck, and is in optical audio mode. That would probably also be why Windows didn't say there were headphones in. Sometimes this can be fixed by putting a headphone jack in and out (apparently it worked for you) but sometimes you need to kick it up a notch and straighten a paper clip and run it down the sides of the headphone jack.

Jumping on the ass of Apple for drivers when the problem existed in both Win and Mac modes? Someone who codes in C should know better than that...

Why would you say hardware is clearly not the problem? Problem exists in Windows, problem exists in OSX, software eliminated. Problem exists with no headphones, sound works with headphones, remove headphones and sound works again. Problem pinpointed - stuck headphone jack ( a common issue)

Troubleshooting 101.

20. jegbook macrumors regular

+1
    I believe when the comupter (booted into either OS X or Windows) is getting the signal that the audio hardware is in optical mode, most of the local audio options are disabled, explaining why both Win and OS X indicated no audio devices availabe. Your audio hardware was in optical mode but no optical device was attached.

I won't absolve Apple from writing iffy drivers, but in this case, it sounds like the stuck headphone jack issue.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-237405.html

21. Matth345 macrumors newbie

Because if you read his posts he was unable to adjust the volume as if headphones were plugged in which would expect to work if the headphone socket was stuck no?

22. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Im pretty sure apples support for windows stops at the bootcamp reboot and install screen...

off what you've said on any machine not just apple that would point to hardware issue.

23. iowamensan macrumors 6502

No, because it doesn't get stuck in "headphone mode". It is in optical audio mode, and local volume options are disabled, as someone else posted above. I administer over 400 Macs at work, and have encountered this issue multiple times.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Definably a hardware glitch(not even a real or lasting problem).

You can buy a 20 million dollar notebook and you will still run into a glitch every once in a while.

I don't even know why this is a real complaint since you stated "I plugged my headphones into the computer. and they worked. Then I unplugged my headphones, and the computer is working again". You can't be serious!!

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oops i just realized my original post sounded snarky. There was supposed to be a :p at the end :eek:

I fixed it.

OP did you try manually updating the bootcamp drivers? (I'm assuming you did).