I would like to understand..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iFanaddic, Oct 22, 2012.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Hi I would like to understand why the iPad can't be turned into "a big iPhone"? if the rumors about the ipad mini are true I will be buying it for sure, but the only thing I will use my iPhone 5 will be for text and calls, everything else will be done with the iPad.

My question is this Is an iPad limited by hardware or firmware? Can't a jailbroken iPad run the iPhone's Phone app?

I'm aware that it is possible to text and call with an iPad but I run a business and changing my phone number isn't really an option for me. I must keep my plan/phone number.

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

If you got the cellular version you could use Skype or Google Voice for calls/text.

3. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Thanks but I really must keep my current number

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Apple is not marketing it as a cellular communication product. That's what they have the iPhone for. Can they make the iPad capable of being a phone, yes! It's much larger and I'm sure space is not an issue. Anyways, not sure why you would want a 10" phone? I can see how it could be useful to some, but overall there just isnt a large market for that. They're making more keeping them separate.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try voip.ms and the AcroBits app.

You can port your number to it for $25

Works great.

6. blackbelter macrumors member

Only use your iPhone for calls and sms? What a waste... These areas are the iPhone's weakest spots. Try some ancient Nokias. They are way better at making calls and texts.

7. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

the phone function represents about 10% of my iPhones daily usage. a 7.85" iPad would make it much less odd to carry around as-a-phone. I know Apple does not intend for us to use it that way.. but you still dont answer my question is it limited by hardware or firmware?

----------

I'll look into it, thanks.

Even better. I could get ride of the iPhone and only use the iPad. ;)

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

That's very much true. All the extra time spent on it can also be done on the iPad. The biggest factor: size and portability. A 7.85" iPad will be more portable , but it still isnt going to fit in customers pockets to carry everywhere. It would be a great addition, but from a business point of view, i dont see Apple ever adding it.

As far as your question goes, I believe the hardware is all there. It's only the firmware thats intentionally been limited by Apple.

9. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I don't need apple to add it if it's a matter of firmware. We have the jailbreak community for that.

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah, its definitely a matter of firmware. It would be interesting to see if someone can get that phone app to the iPad.

11. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Then why isn't anybody working on this? I see a huge market for this.

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

because the iphone is a much more convenient phone

"huge market" i don't see. a tiny niche market

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

14. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Your use isn't necessarily everyone's. And in the end, it doesn't matter if it's hardware, firmware or anything else. If Apple doesn't want it, they don't support it.

If you want to make calls on something with a big screen get a dang iPhone plus

16. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

You could port it to Google Voice ($20). Going the extra step, you could then fwd it to a Skype # (I think it's $18/3 mo).