I would pay to know...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

why some people have SMS typing lag and others claim not to.

The lag is making me pull what's left of my hair out.

Is it an app we have in common? MobileMe? A chip?

Are those with no lag just not texting much? Or are they actually lagging but don't notice because this is their first iPhone? Or are they typing so slow as not to notice?

It's getting so I force quit Mail and Safari EVERY time I want to send an SMS. I've had it!

2. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I do have that same SMS lag you refer to and its really annoying but it isn't there all the time. I noticed right after I try doing GPS track with maps and close maps and open an SMS, its really slow. Just a theory.

3. jedmonds macrumors newbie

I thought sms was super laggy, but then i haven't cleared the sms message history in a long time. After I cleared it, it was quite zippy.

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I just purchased my 3g and it came with 2.0.1 and i have had no trouble with my text lagging. Now after the updates on my first gen it lagged on 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2. Im will not update my new one until people confirm it is fixed. It was terrible on my first gen. When i would type a five word sentence and id be done typing the last word and it would still be on the second trying to catch up. Now i have also only sent about 15 or so text with my new one so i suppose it could start to lag at anytime. Im hoping it doesn't.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Get out of my head!

I was wondering if people with the SMS lag or Connectivity Issues on the 3G kept the Firmware that came with the iPhone or "upgraded" to the firmware available via iTunes to 2.0.

I would also like to know if anyone is having the SMS lag on 2G iPhones.

TEG

6. wronski macrumors 6502

I want to know why some people have so many software issues and have had to reset and restore so much. I've been using my iPhone just like everyone else has been since launch day; updating the software as soon as it's been released, downloading and syncing applications through iTunes or on the iPhone itself, using all the features, and have had no problems with anything or have I found the need to restore or restart anything. Except for Safari crashing and returning me to the home screen once or twice mine has been tip top. So what makes the difference?

7. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

It gets faster for me too after clearing messages, but after loading a few pages in Safari or listening to the iPod, it's as slow as ever.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

My SMS lag is bonkers. It can get so bad, it's not even funny.

Usually (but not always), exiting the app and going back in is enough to fix it. Usually. I have about 20 pretty big SMS threads, but nothing I would consider large by any means. If the phone needs to only have X number of SMS msgs, then it should just delete the oldest one(s) as needed.

Lag is absolutely my number one peeve right now.

9. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I have noticed that when I am in a poor reception area (ie less than 3G or edge) my SMS is really laggy.
    Perhaps just a coincidence but whenever I get laggy I look at the signal and it is always when low.
    Can't think of a good reason for this but just my observation

10. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Like I said, I think it is just when the iPhone runs a lot of memory intensive processes, things run slower than normal. "keyboard" must be at the bottom of the food chain.

Currently I am experiencing a minimal amount of lag, but sometimes it will just (seemingly when I want it to be fast) be really really slow.

I haven't downgraded to 2.0, because my iPhone came with 2.0. I think it really doesn't matter and is just something that hasn't been addressed yet since the 2.0 upgrade. I had the problem on my 2G iPhone too before I upgraded, and it was really annoying.

11. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I strongly boubt thats the case. In my office bldg, i get 1-2 bars max and I only get laggy when I never full close apps. (this is with my 1st gen 8 GB)

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Oh wow ... the keyboard should NEVER be at the bottom of the 'food chain'.

13. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

it's funny because i have absolutely no text lag and my wife does. both phones are 8g and bought at the same time. we have all the same apps and just about the same amount of contacts. we have the same ringtones. neither of us have any music or videos. weird......

now i will say this- i reboot my phone at least once a day and she reboots hers when it locks up....

14. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Safari AND the ipod are 2 of the heaviest app's as far as ram goes. If you want, try holding the home button when in safari for 7 seconds making it force quit and the texting should be a little faster.

15. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Umm.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My question was if those who bought the 3G with 2.0 used iTunes to restore to the next 2.0 (as the build between the shipping version and the iTunes/EDGE version was 2), before upgrading to 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.

TEG

17. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Why do you say we're claiming not to? I'm not "claiming" no lag, I'm stating that I don't have lag. :confused:

I text and type all the time, I type fast, and I don't have text lag. I'm not discounting the "claims" of those who do, though. Every once in a while, I get the screen jump when I'm posting in a text box, but that's about it.

I have no idea why I don't have any of the problems that I'm seeing here, I'm just glad.

18. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Oh I had no idea there was a difference between the two builds.

19. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I think it's an error with the international keyboards. I don't have anything other than the standard US english keyboard turned on, but I ONLY get lag when using the ABC keyboard. If I switch to the extra symbols, use spacebar, or enter key, there is no lag. It MUST be some sort of problem with the international capabilities of the keyboard.

Has anyone tried turning off English and enabling another language, and seeing if the lag occurs there too?

Edit: I've just switched from US english to UK english... will report back if I see lag.

20. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I performed some stress tests to see if I can find a common denominator:

1. Type a normal SMS, from unlocking the phone straight to the SMS app. Speed is normal.
    2. Type a normal SMS by exiting the SMS app, changing the international keyboard to English UK and then going back and typing. Speed is normal.

Now changing back to English as before.

3. Go to Apple's website on 3G in Safari.app, exit from Safari.app after the website has fully loaded and go into the SMS app. Speed is slow.
    4. Exit out of the SMS app, and re-enter the SMS app. Speed is normal.
    5. Repeat #4. Speed is normal.
    6. Go to the NY Times' website in Safari.app, exit from Safari.app after the website has fully loaded and go into the SMS app. Speed is normal.
    6. Go to the NY Times' website in Safari.app, wait for page to load halfway and then exit Safari.app (mid progress) and go into the SMS app. Speed is normal (by the way, upon re-entering Safari, website is fully loaded).
    7. Go to Yahoo! in Safari, wait until half way loaded and then go to type an SMS. Speed is normal (Yahoo fully loaded upon return).

At this point I think Safari only has some minor issues with handling with the SMS app. Although texting speed was decent (minor bits of lag but that is normal for me), the SMS app would take a little while to come up (3-4 seconds).

8. Open Maps. Let it find my location via GPS (15 seconds for circle, 30 seconds for pinpoint). Exit Maps. Open SMS app. Speed is normal!
    9. Open Maps. Let it find my location (2 seconds). Lock phone. Unlock phone. Open SMS app. Speed is normal.
    10. Let it find my location. Get directions to a neighbor. Open SMS app. Speed is normal.

Okay so bottom line is I had no difficulties. Sometimes it happens. Like that one time up there. I am not sure what to conclude other than it just "happens"...