I would seriously like some help here

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gavincanning, Aug 9, 2011.

1. gavincanning macrumors newbie

Hey guys, this is my first time on this site. I've got a bit of a problem.

about 10 months ago my internet stopped working for a day in my apartment. Neither me, nor my room mate could connect.
    So I called our ISP and they were convinced the problem could be fixed by changing my network prefrences on my Macbook Pro, even though I told them persistently that it was affecting both of our computers and the xbox too. Well they walked me through a bunch of changes to my settings and they did not work at all. When I asked them to help me reverse the changes they said they didn't remember what they got me to change and that I'd have to call Apple. after a few hours the internet came back on and my computer could now not connect at all. I called Apple to help me reverse the changes but they want to charge me $60 an hour to talk to them. I got my uncle to make a temporary fix by changing my computer's IP adress to the same on as my room mate's with one number changed. Now I can connect to the internet at home. But NOT ANYWHERE ELSE!! this is a huge pain in the ass, as I am a film student and need to be connected while I'm at school. any ideas on how to revert my network settings to their original state? Please! help! Also, I apologize if this thread is the same as a million others, but I can't find anything that works so far.

Mac OS X version 10.5.8

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably a modem or a router issue. Reboot one or both.

3. gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

Read again, this happened 10 months ago. Both have been rebooted numerous times since then

4. Labaguette macrumors regular

made a quick vid, hope it helps!

ScreenCast

sorry my OS X is German -.-

best regards,

The Baguette

5. gavincanning, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011

gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

to make matters more confusing. It shows as if it's connected to the internet but no programs will connect. It's not a firewire issue either. It's the IP adress I'm pretty sure. If I can find the IP for a specific site it will connect but I am unable to use the site I connect to. Just look at whatever page I have the IP for

The Germans have always saved my ass with my Mac. Thank you soo soo much! I can't believe it was that simple. You should've seen some of the crazy ass things people have gotten me to try.

Danke! Danke! Danke!

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What am I supposed to read? Nowhere in your poorly written, hard to understand, generally uninformative description of your "problem" does it mention you rebooted any of your network hardware.

If it does, please point it out.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

A quick google search(which you could've easily done yourself) for the search terms "factory default network settings OS X" brought this page up on as the first hit.

http://stevejamesson.com/2008/10/01...actory-default-airport-interface-disappeared/

You're welcome.

Edit: That is for an older version of OS X, the .plist as located inside Macintosh HD, System, Library, SystemConfiguration, but the thinking behind this is the same.

You will need to re-enter any password needed to connect to any network you want to use.

9. gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

ok man, anyone would've figured both would have been rebooted within 10 months.

10. gavincanning, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

I did many google searches. I didn't know what exact phrase to search, that's why I posted a description. I did numerous searches with the phrase "resetting network defaults" and it was all BS. I thought that's why help forums existed.

11. gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

well, the .plist files are not under HD,System, Lib., Syst con.
    also, it says i don't have privelages to delete or rename the file... even though I'm the admin... weird. thanks though

12. gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

uggh. This is ridiculous. Baguette's response fixed my computer for about 10 hours then it started claiming that the IP adress was already in use by another machine. So I tried the .plist file thing suggested above. I found only .bundle files. So i moved one momentarily. then when I dragged the icon back to it's original folder, it disappeared. completely... won't even appear using search in finder. I'm about ready to take my computer in to get reformatted

13. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Probably should have been nicer to the people trying to help you, eh? Good luck.

14. gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

whatever, I have been nice to those who have helped me.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'll either have to find the .plist holding your network settings and delete, or you'll have to do a clean reinstall without restoring from time machine, as restoring would be bringing back the old settings you don't want.

16. gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I think one of my issues is I kept stupidly hitting the renew DHCP lisence like an idiot. I have my internet up now, hopefully it stays that way. cheers

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

Hopefully it does. Right now I'm booted into windows 7 so I can't really go looking for the correct .plist, it's there somewhere...

18. aluren macrumors 65816

Maybe reinstall OSX? Format everything and start from scratch again.

19. gavincanning thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that's what I might do. I've tried a bunch of different methods... they work for about a day, then when I try to connect to a different network it starts again

----------

I just tried this and it worked... 3rd time's a charm I guess... Thanks... let's hope it's more of a permanent fix than the other things I've tried

20. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

You should be able to setup your network to simply use DHCP and auto-acquire the name servers (dns) settings from the router. Its a fairly basic setup and one that has been in place for, oh, a couple of decades now. That allows your system to roam from network to network and automatically get the ip\dns settings it needs.