i would snap - kids name in exchange for gas

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

ok. so the idea is neat, but I would have upped the anty for naming my unborn child. $100 in gas? give me a break - a kids name is worth alot more than that i think! :) lol

but, if i were this kid, when i started handwriting (if that mode of communication still exists in a few years), i'd have a few choice words for my parents. can you imagine writing that name?????

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNews/2008/07/12/6140856-ap.html

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, I could understand it if he traded the naming rights for an iPhone, but $100 worth of gas. Geesh. ;)

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Maybe for $1000 worth but not $100, that's like filling your tank up once here...

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Once? I could probably fill my tank up about 50 times with 100 bucks. Even so, I wouldn't think about naming my kid something like that!

Oh, there's going to be some serious teasing when this kid goes to school...

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

What? Where do you live where it costs just $2 to fill up your tank?

Unless you have a miniscule half-gallon tank...

EDIT: I see you're in Venezuela... does gas really cost like, $0.20 per gallon there?

6. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I'm not too keen on the conversions, but yeah, gas is dirt cheap over here (ten times cheaper than water). I can fill up my tank (normally about 35 liters) with a bit under 3.5 BsF. Using the official conversion rate, that would come at about $1.60. So yes, it's cheap. It does have a serious down side, though.

7. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

What would the downside be?

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Gas is cheap, so EVERYONE uses their car, even if it takes longer to drive than to walk. Nobody carpools, and the traffic jams are just ridiculous. Without traffic, I can get from my house to my U in ~20 minutes. Since everybody uses their car, I take anywhere from an hour to three hours. This means that finding a parking spot is next to impossible, and the percentage of people that can't drive is quite big. Also, everyone that can buys the largest SUV possible, and drive like they own the road.

So not all is great for us down here in almost-free-gasville. ;)

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes im interested too lol

edit: whoops i saw post above

i will say though that there are many traffic jams here and 95% of people here seem to drive alone (not a for sure % but thats what i observe). parking is also bad in the cities for sure here as well. its not like the roads are open here and parking is plentiful haha

10. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Same here in Halifax. The traffic jams are horrific and parking is never fun. Except gas is 1.50/Liter for regular here in NS.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

$100 = £50, cost my parents £46 to fill up one of their cars fully the other day...

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

Let me guess...

Anytime a commodity is heavy subsidized it tends to be very much over used. I'd expect to see people buying big cars and living far from their jobs because the commute would be cheap. Kind of like what we saw here in the US, growth of suburbs.

Also when governments heavy subsidize a commodity that means a very high rate of government spending. Typically high rates of government spending does two things (1) heats up the economy which eventually leads to inflation and (2) means that some future generation has to pay for it all. Even if the subsidy is not paid for by debt is is pad for by diverting funds that could have paid for things like infrastructure, education or other capital spending

Typically subsidies make governments popular in the short run. I think what happens is the powers that be think "We can make this thing work for the rest of MY political career and after that I don't care."

13. idyll macrumors 6502