i3 base (2010) and i5 base (2011) hard drive differences?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heliocentric, Nov 9, 2011.

1. heliocentric, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

heliocentric Guest

Am I write in thinking you can upgrade the base 2010 with any hard drive you like but the base 2011 has to have an official apple hard drive?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe the current iMacs are sealed in such a way that makes it difficult to change the hard drive and/or they moved the HD so that its no longer a user replaceable component.

It doesn't matter if its an apple branded drive but more likely how easy/hard it is to replace the drive and whether apple considers this action voiding the warranty.

3. Spike88, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Instead of upgrading "internal" factory HDD on the 2010 i3 model, can you install an external HDD via its FW port instead. Simply put "most often used" DATA on the internal drive and "less often used" data on the attached external HDD. For example, external HDD contains documents, movies or picture files that one might load 3 times a year. If automatic DATA backup is needed, perhaps connecting 2nd external HDD to FW (daisy chain??) or perhaps to its USB port will work?

If wondering, I'm uneasy of installing larger size internal HDD inside my 2010 i3 iMac as well. I'd rather connect external HDD - instead of opening up the iMac box.

Hope this helps...

4. heliocentric thread starter Guest

thanks for your replies!

I have no problem opening it up, seen tutorials on youtube and it looks fine (i also replaced a HD in a 2007 alu imac no problem)...

I just read that the 2011 ones have to take special apple HD's (send the fans crazy) where as the 2010's dont?

is this correct?

THanks