i3 imac with usb question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by justabrake, May 16, 2011.

1. justabrake macrumors member

Hi, my sister in law bought an imac with an i3 cpu and I went and hooked it up for her the other day with a few usb cables and she called me today saying something like she has to remove some usb port cables because its pulling to much through the ports ! she only has I think 3 ports connected ! I have a macbook pro and never heard of this issue, has anyone heard of this I'm not close by and can't see what's going on so I can't give all info on this yet.

2. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

How many USB devices does she have hooked up to it? Is she getting some kind of error message?

3. crazzyeddie, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

She's either getting one of two messages:

If its this one, she needs to (most likely) not plug things into the keyboard:
    image-1.jpg

or

If its this one, one of the devices isn't playing nice. Probably an external hard drive or self-powered scanner. The best way to figure it out is process of elimination:
    image-2.jpg

4. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

I think 1 for the printer, 1 for the portable camera, she has a usb port outlet on it but that has the camera connected to it ( not sure if that's problem) it's more like to have the extension to get distance for where the camera stays plugged into the wall, 3rd one i'm not sure maybe it's a speaker power , anyway not more then 3 because I plugged them in from her old computer,

have you ever heard of to much power being used by the USB's ?

5. justabrake, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

justabrake thread starter macrumors member

OK; I'm not sure which one she got but she has a all in one printer ! she said she doesn't no why it stays on, it never use to she said, I'd bet that must be it ! what should be done here ?

she has the wireless apple keyboard that came with it

I installed all the drivers for that printer and had everything working with it even scanned some papers on the imac just to show her but she did mention she didn't know why the printer didn't shut down !

6. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

Hey; I appreciate the help !

Thanks !

7. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Yes I have, I've heard of people having like 8 or more devices all hooked in and on at the same time. Sometimes all you need is a powered USB hub and you're fine. That's my advice anyways never let me down.

heres a page that may give you more information http://www.usbcable.com/usbbasics.htm

8. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

Great info on that ! never knew all that !

Thanks for your Help !