Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonTa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
I have just bring my new i4 home, and right after I opened the box I noticed a uneven spot in the metal band, left side approx 1 cm above antenna and 0.5 cm long. Its really visible on the certain angel turned into reflection with light. It looks like different alu on that part, whitish blotch.

Is that normal? Some kind of coating that apple put on? Eligible for exchange?

I have tried wiping with microfiber cloth w/ water but it wont go away.

JonTa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
first off its not alu, its steel.

I made a post in another thread regarding my own iphone 4
https://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11401820

Mine does not have scratches as its brand new, but it have uneven color of band on one place, it show when turning it into reflection.

While your picture shows small (darker) scratches.

Oh and yes, its stainless steel, my bad

EDIT; after searching a bit, it really seams the brushed upper layer got removed a bit, but that was right after the unboxing it, so it was there in factory.

Can I use some metal polish or smth to make even color of band, as at the moment I can see this spot from distance.

this the post; https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10784417/

Last edited:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Mine does not have scratches as its brand new, but it have uneven color of band on one place, it show when turning it into reflection.

While your picture shows small (darker) scratches.

Oh and yes, its stainless steel, my bad

EDIT; after searching a bit, it really seams the brushed upper layer got removed a bit, but that was right after the unboxing it, so it was there in factory.

Can I use some metal polish or smth to make even color of band, as at the moment I can see this spot from distance.

this the post; https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10784417/

I think you are going to have a very rough life trying to please yourself. The phone cost you way too much and you should not have bought it in the first place if such a thing is that important to to you will ruin your iPhone experience.

Stanless steel is quite hard and the most you will do it create a slightly more shiney area where you used the polish

JonTa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
I think you are going to have a very rough life trying to please yourself. The phone cost you way too much and you should not have bought it in the first place if such a thing is that important to to you will ruin your iPhone experience.

Stanless steel is quite hard and the most you will do it create a slightly more shiney area where you used the polish

Indeed it cost me alot (one month salary) and Im not nipicking when I know the phone will get marks after period of time, but for that kind of money I expect to come prefect right out of the box and not visually flawed.

I just want to "masked" this spot to be less visible, being with polish or any other method that you could suggest.

Other than that, the phone is awesome, would not change it for anything.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
If you use a polish which is slightly abrasive, it will change the surface texture of the metal and could make it shiney in comparison to the rest of the phone.

If these marks are in the metal and not just something on it's surface, they will be nera impossible to remove.

I put my iPhone in a protective case before I left the store where I bought it and have not even seen the metal banding.

You might want to return to the store and see if they will do something for you.

JonTa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
I see, well its indeed part of the metal. It seams like its missing the satin finish, the structure when gliding thru feels exactly the same.

The problem is I have ordered this phone thru UK online apple store (via borderlinx) and while we have apple certified iphone service here there is no genius bar or store where I could get some help.

Well, I will just lived with it, but its really not a good felling when you should get perfect phone from sealed box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.