i4 users that have a Nexus One

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theturtle, Jan 21, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Do you guys feel as if the nexus one is a downgrade to the iphone 4? Im thinking about picking one up so i can play around with it but if the people who have both a iphone 4 and nexus one think its not worth it than im probably gonna avoid going that route.

btw its weird. alot of people say they find the phone really ugly but imo something about it looks classy hahah.

2. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I had a Nexus One before the iPhone 4.
    I would say the two phones are on a similar level in terms of performance. iP4 has the App store, and N1 has more geeky things to play with (custom roms, kernels, etc).
    Depends on what you like to do with your phone.

3. tbaker00 macrumors member

If it is something you really want to do, do it, there is no one on here to tell you what to do. If you feel like exploring your options and testing the nexus one side by side with the Iphone4 take the risk and do it.

4. rikbrown macrumors regular

I went from a Nexus One to an iPhone 4.

Why? The amazing iPhone 4 screen resolution, and the fact I purchased an iPad since getting the Nexus One and wanted to be able to have access to the same/similar apps. The app store is superior to the Android market in terms of quality and quantity.

I think if you get a N1 you will notice the screen resolution (even though it's still a good screen) and will miss iOS apps. Also bare in mind the N1 is "last generation" now - perhaps you'd prefer to try out a Nexus S?

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I went from a Nexus One to the iPhone 4 and don't regret it. The only thing I probably miss is the trackball glows when you receive notifications.

As others have said the App Store is far superior to the Android Market but it is slowly improving.

As for the display the screen was gorgeous indoors on the Nexus One but was horrible in sunlight. At the end of the day it's all about what you want to do with your phone.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had a N1, now a Droidx, and the wife has a an iPhone 4 (I've also had a number of iPhones).

As to your comment, whether the N1 is a downgrade to iPhone, I think that's not true. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The N1 has some great strengths like it being google's baby, you don't have to wait for system updates. I wait an extended amount of time for moto to provide updates, after Google releases the OS.

Secondly its easily rooted and can load custom roms fairly easily, I found the level of detail I can alter, refreshing when compared to iOS.

Software is getting better on the android platform, but the marketplace is its achilles heel. Too many crapware, and malware has snuck in from time to time. While I think apple's policies are too restrictive, I also think google's is too permissive and they don't do enough to protect the user or the developer.

All in all, the phones are closely matched in many ways and so its really personal preference.

7. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I have the Nexus One currently (had an iPhone 3gs before) and I LOVE it :D

There are some pretty good advantages that the Nexus One has over the iPhone (for me):
    - Google Maps Navigation (an AMAZING free GPS turn by turn with traffic)
    - Trackball colored LED notifications
    - Bigger screen
    - Removable battery (so I can carry a tiny spare battery in my wallet so I don't ever have to worry about running out of battery)
    - Swype and other keyboards available
    - Widgets
    - Much better notification system
    - Google is fine with gaming emulators so you don't have to jailbreak
    - Live wallpapers
    - Drag and Drop
    - SD card
    - File manager apps to explore SD card readily available

Of course the absolute BEST advantage that I traded in my iPhone 3gs for a Nexus One was to save $$$. I am contract free and only pay:

$30/mo for 500 voice minutes + nights and weekends
    $10/mo for unlimited data on T-mobile (Great coverage in California - 3.5mbps)
    $0/mo for free unlimited text messaging through Google Voice