i5 1GB GFX or i7 512 GFX ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lc25, Dec 9, 2010.

1. lc25 macrumors 6502

So i have been using macbooks and macbook pros for a long time but i am looking at getting a 27" imac for the desk so i can use my macbook pro for mobile tasks. At the moment macbook pro stays plugged in and i take my macbook everywhere...... Another side task being i wouldn't mind getting back into a bit of gaming CSS and Guildwars (run though crossover) as i have heard good reviews about it working well, i do miss GW..... anyway i have been looking at the refurb store and i am rather tempted but i can't seem to work out what would be a better trade off, only 512 of gfx ram with a i7 or 1Gb with a i5 now obviously for the gaming side the i5 is the better option but i kinda want the i7 can anyone advise what they picked for playing games ?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For gaming, get the one with the better GPU. i7 makes no difference in gaming as games cannot take advantage of its extra threads

3. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

If you want the iMac more for games then I would definitely recommend the i5. The i7 won't be better for games or normal use.

4. Dnix macrumors 6502

Sure it has 1GB...but overall performance - 5750 does not exactly crush the 4850, at least on the desktop version. The 4850 will handle counter strike fine @ 1920x1080. I've messed around with portal and l4d on the mac steam a little, it did pretty good.

I would make the decision based on other stuff, like if you want the i7 hyperthreading, or slightly higher clocked ram of the mid-2010's (1333mhz?) etc

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The 5750 in the iMac is mobility 5850, and the 4850 a mobility 4850, so the difference in performance is even more negligible. Still something to get when focused on gaming tho.