i5 2.4 or i7 2.6 for Photoshop, Web dev and some video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by corbijn, Jun 2, 2010.

1. corbijn macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just about to step out and get myself a new MBP - trading up from a Powerbook G4!

My main uses are:

Web development, Simple coding stuff (my current Powerbook g4 is fine for this).

Photoshop - this can be quite large files, and the way I work I have many open at once.

Some video rendering. Processing and editing.

Often at the same time as the above I have email clients, various browsers (with multiple tabs), twitter clients, Skype etc open ...

With this in mind, would there be any major differences between the i5 or i7 processes or the larger (512mb) video card in the i7. If I go the i7 I will probably fork the extra money for the 7200rpm drive aswell.

Both will have a Hirez screen.

I have read the Bare Feats review http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp18.html so I undertand I will be looking at an improved performance, but what about the VIdeo card? WIll that matter at all?

Cheers

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get 2.4GHz and upgrade the RAM to 8GB as you seem to do a lot multitasking. The GPU is the same, only VRAM amount is different but it makes no difference as 330M can't take the advantage of extra 256MB

3. GoyoNeuff macrumors member

4. corbijn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GoyoNeuff, I don't know how I missed that post, a good read! Hellhammer, that looks a good point, more RAM, I will look into that.

Now just to decide about the antiglare or not.