i5 2.6GHz Retina vs i7 2.9GHz Classic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerrydpi, May 15, 2013.

1. jerrydpi macrumors member

Hello guy, how's it been going:)

To fill you in, I ended up buying a 13" MacBook Pro i7 2.9 GHz with 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.

I'm running Logic Pro 9, MainStage 2, VB3 and Addictive Drums.

But here I go again:confused:

I made the mistake of going to Best Buy, and they have a returned 13" MacBook Pro Retina i5 2.6 GHz with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD that I purchased with the understanding that I could return it if I decided I didn't like it.

Wow, the Retina Display is stunning!

I will say this.

Before I purchased the i7, I had a iPad 3 Retina, and when I sold the iPad to purchase the i7, the main thing I missed was the superior clarity and color of the Retina Display vs the non Retina i7.

So for the price Best Buy sold me the i5 for, and the price I can sell my i7 for, it will cost me about $100.00.

My i7 will run out of Warranty this August, whereas the i5 will have a Full One Year Warranty.

So for my needs, what, and more importantly, why would you choose either the i7 or i5?

Thanks!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The i7 is about 15% more powerful, and you shouldn't see that too much in day to day usage with Logic Pro.

So it comes down to Retina and 16 GB RAM vs. 8 GB. Retina, in my opinion, is worth 8 GB lower and $100 more.

But you need to decide your priorities. Do you want a Retina screen, or a computer that is upgradeable in terms of the SSD and RAM in the future.

Look in Activity Moniter to see how much RAM you are using during your intensive tasks. That will give you an indication of if you NEED 16 GB RAM.

3. jerrydpi thread starter macrumors member

I believe I can live with the 8GB RAM, as my rig is for writing songs at home, and finishing them on a larger, more powerful Mac at my Guitar Players Studio.

Plus, I've heard of Mac users who have upgraded the SSD on the Retina model.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Then by all means get the Retina! The screen is incredible. SSD IS upgradeable. And if you get burn-in or any problem, you can either ask BB for an exchange or get it fixed by Apple in just a few days.