i5 Boot time.... slower than core 2 duo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesso, Apr 18, 2010.

1. jesso macrumors member

Hey folks.
    Just wondering how your start up times are compared to the older models... maybe someone has a 09 macbook pro and an i5 to hand to compare....
    I just picked up my i5 from the store, and one of the first things I did was compare start up times next to my wife's 15 inch 2.53 core 2 duo (integrated graphics).
    Worryingly, her 09 model boots up about 15 seconds faster!
    I suppose it dosn't really matter though... the i5 seems a ton faster opening apps, and the geekbench score is over 1000 higher.... but why does it boot up slower? Anyone have any ideas about that?
    Jesse

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Start up disk -> Select your OS X disk and click restart

3. mirage5 macrumors newbie

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

:confused::confused::confused:
    This would only be applicable if he has another OS like Windows on the machine. AND even if he did, that wouldn't matter if it is already booting to OS X...

You might try booting to your recovery disc, and using disk utility to repair permissions.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I know it doesn't sound right but in many cases, it has made the trick. The OS X disk isn't default boot volume so it looks for volumes to boot from causing longer boot time

6. stefanwa macrumors newbie

Probably it's just because of the boot cache. Maybe it helps to give the i5 some more reboots?

7. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Does she have a 7200rpm and you a 5400rpm drive?

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You say the first thing?? Have you actually updated sl yet??

9. jesso thread starter macrumors member

Well, not first thing... I did do a software update and restart before I tried it.
    She doesn't have anything different in her macbook, same sized 5200rpm bog standard drive.
    Hellhammer - I did what you suggested, and it actually worked.... well it made a big difference anyway. They are now almost the same speed booting up, but the core 2 duo is faster by about 2 seconds it seems. Maybe it'll speed up with age!

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

C2d's are no slouches and I'm not sure but dosnt osx only use one core on boot so it's pretty much ghz for ghz during boot.

11. jesso thread starter macrumors member

That could make sense, cos hers is a 2.53, compared to my new 2.4.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

13. jesso thread starter macrumors member

Sorry elpmas, excuse my ignorance... what do you mean by "OC"?

14. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

the real test happens when you render or export video. I'm positive your i5 will smoke your wife's computer.

From everything I've read that's where we'll all see a big difference. Boot up seems to be contingent on HD speed. But I'm by no means an expert

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

OC means overclock.

It's possible you might be able to, but I wouldn't try it. Laptops are much more sensitive to heat than desktops.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try OnyX to make it fly!

OC = OverClock

Hes joking as it's not possible under OS X, but in Windows you could change the clock speed to make it run faster from e.g. 2.4GHz to 2.6GHz

17. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

This thread brings up an interesting question for me. I've read that it's possible to boot from the SD card. If you had your os and your favorite apps on the SD card, would it boot up faster than the hard drive?

18. jhch50 macrumors newbie

When I got my i5 I swap out the Kingston SSD on my core 2 duo 2.66 which boots up in 16 seconds. On the new i5 it boots up in 20 seconds. Kind of weird to me too

19. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hard drive could still be indexing, give it a week or so...
    My '09 like your wife's sped up after about a week and a half...

20. airflyer172 macrumors newbie

i5 Slower

The slower i5 is why I am here. Unboxed my new 2.53 i5 4GB ram 7200 rpm Hatachi 500GB as replacement for my 09' 2.53 core 2 duo which I will be giving to my son. Core 2 is running new Seagate Momentous 500 7200 RPM drive (I kept the 250 as it had lots of data, point is replaced and reformatted the new drive).

Out of box I immediately reinstalled OS (I like my own formats) and WOW new i5 averaged 45.2 seconds + or - about .8 sec on successive reboots. Core 2 averages 31.6 +- .4 seconds! That is 14 seconds SLOWER for the i5.

So I think hard drive. Pop it out and get a new Segate Momentous same drive and model number. Now boot time is 43.4 seconds +- .5 on successive reboots. Core 2 still right there with 31.6. DISAPPOINTING!

Any one with ideas? Could it have to do with buffering onboard graphics to RAM Core 2 is running nvidia only and is running nvidia memory hub and northbridge I think. Is this new unit on an Intel? and is it integrated?