i5 cpu VS XT momentus upgrade on macbook pro 13...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yosi199, Aug 1, 2010.

1. yosi199 macrumors member

Hi people, I know that I cant get an i5 cpu on the 13" model but hypoteticaly, do you think that upgrading to an SSD or something like the XT momentus can REALLY close the gap? (so I wont feel soooo 2008)

I think my most intensive work on it will be working with logic for heavy midi work. Will I benift more from an i5 cpu or a faster HD?

2. FnuGk macrumors regular

that is like asking if your car will drive faster if you put better(more comfy) seats in it!?

3. yosi199 thread starter macrumors member

I can't see how is that true? Car seats wont help in performance but a faster hard drive will!

4. rawCpoppa macrumors regular

From what I've read in this forum an SSD makes a WORLD of difference. Load times are cut significantly. A new cpu would be great too but I think the performance upgrade to SSD is more noticeable depending on what you are doing with the laptop.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how SSDs perform over time in OSX. That's something to check up on

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think the analogy is wrong. Think of the i5 is a V8 and the C2D as a I4; the fast XT is like getting an upgraded exhaust kit; sure it can feel faster, but it isn't by much.

The issue is you won't be able to upgrade the CPU later on, should you need the can upgrade the HDD quite easily.

6. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Are you currently stressing your CPU for the full 100% and notice that that's the bottleneck?

7. yosi199 thread starter macrumors member

Well my desktop pc is quite beefy so Its enough for all my needs, I've got there a q9550 CPU, 6gb ram and all is super fast for me but since I will produce music on the laptop I'm afraid I will make the wrong choice and that 2.4 C2D will be the bottleneck...

8. Xombie11 macrumors regular

I disagree.

You'd see a greater performance increase with an SSD (probably not as significant with the XT) than you would going from a C2D to an i5.

The HD affects everything from loading documents to opening programs to starting the computer. It also affects transfer speeds between USB and Firewire devices.

A CPU upgrade would only really make a difference in terms of "overall snappiness," subjective as it is, and in benchmarks. Oh, and in video conversion times. Seldom is the CPU a bottleneck... You're really only missing out on more recent Intel architecture and DDR3.

9. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Core2 is DDR3...

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Get SSD =) if not then I guess XT but yeah like a guy above said, it'll be like a new exhaust, catback lol;

11. yosi199 thread starter macrumors member

I see you have the intel SSD. Would you say that there is a big, noticeable difference in speed?