I5 for $500

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Z8beema, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

2. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Damn.... And the i7 is $699.99..... I was going to order my i7 from apple today because I want the 2.6 upgrade...... Anyone think it's worth just buying the 2.3 (since you can't get 2.6 from best buy) ???

Will I notice a huge difference?

3. SoCalReviews, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

You probably wouldn't notice much difference for normal computing but if you really want the 2.6 and the money isn't that big of a deal for you just get the 2.6 since you can't change that once you buy. I have purchased the 2.3 models and they are great. One thing I actually prefer about the 2.3 is it will run slightly cooler but these i7 processors will throttle up and down the core speed above 3 as needed anyway so the 2.6 would give you a bit more top end processing speed if you are pushing it.

4. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Yea I'm in debate mode. I have the money for the top end model I was gonna create through apple.... 2.6 i7, Fusion drive and then do RAM myself.... I just can't decide if I want to save some money and go 2.3...? But then I have to do my own SSD fusion drive....and I wasn't sure I wanted to mess with that myself. Ahhhhhh! Damn you deals!! Lol

5. SoCalReviews, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

The rule I follow with purchases is that if you can afford it then get what you really want and don't worry about the deals that always seem to come up at the last minute. That way you will have no regrets about not getting exactly what you wanted. It sounds like you have a good plan for the Mini you want. If you are more comfortable going through Apple then go that route. If you are still looking for savings the other option is to check prices online with a reputable electronics retailer like B&H who may have the 2.6 Mini you want (possibly with fusion drive pre-installed) at a deal like price. You can always add extended Apple Care to your Mini with a separate purchase from B&H, Amazon, etc.. before your first year warranty coverage is over.

6. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

What would you use it for? What I did was bought the base and boosted the ram to 8 gigs and eventually will make a fusion drive

7. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I already purchased what I wanted earlier from Apple earlier today. Bought the 2.6 i7, with fusion drive. Upgrading to 16 GB ram myself. I had the money set aside and didn't want to take a gamble and get a downgraded unit just to save a few bucks. I was considering doing fusion myself but didn't want to fuss with taking apart the entire unit. In a year or two I will take it apart (after my warranty runs out) and I'll put in a 500 GB SSD to increase my fusion. By then SSD will be cheaper as well. I think a 128 GB fusion will be all I need anyways. There really is no reason for a HUGE fusion....it's not like you can use 128 GB at a time. And it will keep moving the files around on it's own.

8. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your new Mini purchase. I think you made the right decision. You may have paid more than you would have for the other deals but at least now you don't have to question your purchase since it is exactly the Mini what you wanted to get... the faster 2.6 model and a fusion drive... from Apple. Upgrading to full SSD when the prices drop in a few years is also a good plan. Enjoy. :D

9. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Thanks! I'm excited for it all to be delivered. Gonna be an amazing day to set it all up with dual monitors. I'll have to post a pic of my setup! :)