Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFlynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I need a new machine, and Im having a really hard time deciding. The purpose of this machine is to consolidate my computing to one primary machine that can be used back and forth to work.

At home, I have a 24" 1920x1200 to plug in to, but at work it will be on the laptop screen. I am a server engineer, and plan on running some VMs in Virtual Box. So I will push the processor some for sure.

Im having a hard time deciding between the i5 with a screen upgrade, or an i7 with the std display. I will be upgrading either machine with ram from OWC, so that will help either with the VMs.

These machines are basically the same money...which one would you buy as a desktop replacement workhorse?

MrFlynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I took a look at the hi Rez display last night and I must say it's amazing. I think the i5 will do if I can have that display...

BobbyCarbn

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Whatever you choose, dont read this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/901710/

I am very happy with the HiRes, but after reading that thread I am convinced I have a slight yellow tint and brightness problem :confused:

I am going outside with a flashlight to find some scratches the I know are waiting to be found on the hood of my car so I can really be pissed off before I go to bed tonight :p

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Whatever you choose, dont read this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/901710/

I am very happy with the HiRes, but after reading that thread I am convinced I have a slight yellow tint and brightness problem :confused:

I am going outside with a flashlight to find some scratches the I know are waiting to be found on the hood of my car so I can really be pissed off before I go to bed tonight :p

Oh way to go, post a link to a thread that you are telling the OP to avoid, most likely he will check it out and then have the same concerns and be as OCD as you are. People should make their own observations on their own equipment, looks like you just couldn't hold back. :rolleyes:

OP, just get the i5 with the Hi-Res screen, that's what I bought but I also got the matte finish and I'm extremely happy I did.

BobbyCarbn

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
I was being sarcastic of course. I have seven little ones running around my house. I am pretty happy if I can make it to bed at night and not have to deal with someone who had an "accident" right in my spot on the bed. When I was younger I would allow myself to get all worked up over minor stuff like one bad pixel on my screen. Now, everything is relative. All my kids are healthy, my wife loves me dearly and I have a great job that allows me to keep my Apple obsession fed a steady stream of new goodies to play with!

I am not trying to dismiss the folks who have serious issues and agree that for this kind of money it should be pretty close to perfect.

In the end, it is what it is, if your not happy bring it back.

Just remember, when you get that perfect screen your little one may run into the room with a sharpy marker your wife left on the table and draw you a pretty picture on that perfect LED screen :p "Daddy look... I drew Elmo on your puter!"

MrFlynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
First off, the "15 and 17s have STDs" line nearly killed me lol. There can be alot of flamers on these forums, but this is still one of the funniest crowds on the net.

Bobby, I have triplets so I know how you feel about kids. Im lucky in that my wife is a complete sci fi watching Apple loving gadget fanatic! And as for things being relative, I couldnt agree more. As long as my kids are in bed safe at night and my wife is still sane things can only get so bad from there :cool:

deus ex machina

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
If you are encoding audio or video, the i7 can offer up to a 30% improvement in speed. I am not all that sure with regards to VM.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
i5 with the high-resolution display.

The difference between the displays are there, but the CPUs not as much.

That said I'd also choose the matte display.

MrFlynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
The other issue I have is the price difference...

MacConnection will sell me the 15 i5 2.4 with the HDAG for 1999.00 out the door shipped. The i7 I have to get from an Apple Store. Its 2349 plus 16 bucks recycle plus tax and comes out to like 2580.00'

So basically Im paying almost 600 bucks to go from 2.4ghz i5 to the i7. It seems like I could take that same money and get an SSD and the Ram upgrade.

Another unit they have in stock is a 15" i5 2.53 with the HDAG and a 7200 rpm 500 gig for 2199 out the door shipped.

watduzhkstand4

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I would go with the 17" 1920x1200. I've bee spoiled by hi-res screens. Too bad I take portability over screen res so I went with the 1680x1050 on my 15"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.