i5, i7 notable battery life differences

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nikot, Jul 18, 2012.

1. nikot macrumors newbie

Hey all, I originally purchased an i5, 256, 4gb 13" air, but decided to order an i7 with 8gb of ram. Currently have both machines and I've noticed a considerable battery life difference between the two.

On both machines I ran ms word with one document open, and chrome with macrumors and facebook open. Brightness on the 3rd to last setting, backlit keyboard on the very minimum setting. Running on wifi, no bluetooth or anything like that open. Both machines are identical in that they have the same settings, software, and data on them. The i5 reports a battery life of around nine hours, while the i7 gives an estimate of around 5.

Installed the newest updates on both machines and there are no differences in estimated battery life. I think one possible issue may be that I used migration assistant to transfer everything from the i5 to the i7. I'm wiping the machine atm and starting fresh to see if this makes a difference.

Went to starbucks the other day with the i5 and was there for close to four hours using chrome, word, and spotify and I walked out with 65% battery left. That's pretty phenomenal compared to other laptops I've used. I understand that the the figures above are only battery life estimates, and that there may be a number of factors affecting this, but if any i7 owners could provide some battery life estimates just for comparison that would be great.

2. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've used i5 and i7 Airs for some time now and I'm convinced the i5 offers noticeably better battery life, but I've yet to compare the 2012's.

Maybe for anyone but processor intensive users the i5 is the way to go.

That's why for my needs the 'ultimate' air is an i5/8/512, not an i7. Longer battery, less fan noise, less heat.

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

7 is 40% greater than 5 so it means that the i7 uses 40% more battery than the i5.

4. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

How do people spend 4 hours in a coffee shop?

We don't get it so much in the UK but whenever I'm in the states I notice people seeming to do their 9-5 in a coffee shop?

5. MacBird macrumors 6502

Anandtech did some comprehensive battery life tests. According to that, the difference between i5 and i7 is not very big: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/8

----------

It might be cheaper than renting an office. :)

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't understand this either. A strip club? Sure! A coffee shop? :confused:

7. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

8. edricfilho macrumors newbie

Same ol'...

Just replaced my MCA 2011 i5/4GB/128 SSD with the new MCA BTO 2012 (i7/8GB/256 SSD), transferring everything via Time Capsule. In practical terms I just noticed more speed in processing databases and the (great) ability to run 2 virtual machines at the same time (8 GB RAM allows me to run Parallels with Windows 7 and Windows 8 Preview), otherwise everything was equal: warming, opening/closing apps, battery time (around the same 5 hours), noise etc.

Cheers

Edric

9. nikot thread starter macrumors newbie

I was on a homework binge, finals week for summer term.

Wiping the machine and starting from scratch seems to have improved battery life estimates a little bit. And yes I read the anandtech review which shows real world usage differences to be very minimal. I'll be keeping the i7 and testing it out more on a road trip to Chicago.

I'll never be away from an outlet for too long so given the time difference that anandtech posted I'm sure this one will work great. Heat doesn't seem to be an issue.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No kidding. I do my best work in the pub.

11. MacBird macrumors 6502

With or without laptop? :)

12. kermitxc macrumors newbie

13. tradman macrumors member

Hi Nikot,
    Just wondering if you have anymore time to judge a difference between the two. Thinking of ordering a 13inch this evening or tomorrow and was wondering how you feel about the comparison between both. I too have read anandtech's review but I'm interested in what you have found to date.
    Cheers