i5 instead of i7 this time for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PDFierro, Sep 11, 2011.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I ordered a new Air back in July and I got the 11-inch ultimate. I ended up returning it with the intention of getting it again at a later day.

I have done my research and it seems the i7 gives the same battery life but brings more heat. I will be going with the 11-inch again and I think I'll go with the i5 this time, as I don't think I'll need the power and it will bring less heat.

I don't do anything intensive. I'm a writer, so I just write. Along with other everyday things. Although I do watch iTunes HD video regularly. I'm not sure what things I will get into in the future, maybe light photo/video editing (nothing too intensive) and I'm into architecture as a hobby, so maybe at some point try my hand at designing/drawing.

I will be getting a OWC SSD also, so maybe that will offset the minor speed boost of the i7 in launching apps, etc. Anyone else happy with the i5? I see no reason why the i5 wouldn't do it for me, but just asking to be sure.

2. IngerMan, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

If there are heat issues or not between the i5 and i7 seems mixed revues. But with your use why would you go with the i7 and added cost anyways?

The OWC prices keep dropping. I would hold off till you really need the extra storage space because it could save you some extra money. If they introduce blade styles with sata III, the current sata II will drop even further.

I am very happy with my i5. I basically use mine for work and hobbies. Microsoft office, amateur photography, and iMovie.

3. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, that's why I was asking. i5 it is then.

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I went I5 as well. I believe there actually is some battery effect with the I7, especially if you do things on battery that take it to turbo mode, and since I wasn't planning on doing any video work, I thought the I5 would be best for me.

5. cactus33 macrumors member

The i5's these days are fantastic processors. I have a 1st gen i5 (albeit in a MBP) and it is fantastic. I have also heard from friends that the i5 in the current MBAs are quite snappy.

6. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I only went with the i7 before because I wanted to future proof it as much possible. Probably should have waited until reviews came in and stuff.

7. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

There is no future proofing going to the top end spec in a current model. 2 or 3 years from now if they are 200% faster, do you think it matters if you have a 3 year old i5 or i7 with a 20% speed bump. Also as the 2010 models have shown you get less bang on return for adding the higher options. People were selling 2010 ultimates for $1,000, that was a $700 loss. But people were selling the base for $800-$900, less then half the loss of the ultimate.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This whole battery/hear issue is way overblown. There is a reason Intel makes an i5 and an i7. You pay a little bit more, you get a little bit more performance. Period. Whether it is worth it or not depends entirely on your circumstance. Some people prefer to get the fastest processor available, so they are not left wondering when a program chokes their machine whether the faster processor would have made any difference. Other folks prefer to save themselves the $90 and are convinced they will never tell the difference. To each their own. The MacBook Air is not exactly designed to be a portable powerhouse. That's what the MacBook Pros are for. If I needed the most powerful portable computer out there, I'd be looking at Alienware. As it stands, I have the (second) most portable powerful computer out there. :D Big difference.....

9. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Your just pissed because you now realize your $1699 Ultimate is going to net you $1000 in 8 more months. :p When you have to upgrade to the next Ultimate.....

10. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I actually agree. But I'd lay it out as:

1. You get about 10% more performance (I'm talking about the 13" model) in very processor intensive tasks.
    2. You pay a bit more.
    3. More performance = more heat = more battery use (when exercised) = less battery life.

The battery difference is probably reasonably low if you aren't pushing the processor, but for me the I5 meets 98% of the requirement while minimizing battery life and heat dissipation.

11. maclook macrumors 65816

Agreed. TBH the first week with my i7, the fans were running loud and my computer was hot as hell. I questioned my purchase but after a week which coincided with the 10.7.1 update (so I don't know what exactly cured it), my computer seldom gets hot and loud anymore.

Just now I was running Autocad in VMware Fusion (Windows 7) and doing Photoshop natively on the mac with a Safari browser open with multiple tabs. Didn't get the slightest bit hot (which is actually strange because my old Macbook would stutter and lag under the same load). I hardly have to worry about heat or battery life unless I'm using Handbrake which isn't that often.

I can't speak on battery life but I'm happy with my i7's performance and I love how fast it charges anyways. I find it ridiculous that people are buying both an i5 and i7 to test or constantly returning and exchanging. Overanalyzing on internet forums can really drive people mad.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Nahhh, I'm a gadget freak. It's part of my sickness. I am pretty good at selling old gadgets on eBay to feed my tech habit. :D

13. sloan47 macrumors member

Typically the rule of thumb is that if you have to ask if the i7 is worth it, then it probably isn't.

14. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I have noticed that the OWC prices keep dropping, but wasn't expecting to see SATA III until next year's refresh. I have been thinking of going with the 180GB, although ordering the Air with 256GB from Apple would be about the same price.

Thanks for your help.