i5 MBP Freezing Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SchneiderMan, May 3, 2010.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Iv'e been having freezing issues with my new i5, it happened about 6 times already and about 1-2 times a day.
    It seems that it happens when i'm on safari and flash is involved but i get no error messages.
    The only thing the moves is the mouse cursor. It will stay frozen until i manually shut it off and restart it.

Anyone experience this before?

2. gagaliya macrumors 6502

yes osx sucks, install windows 7 on it. I was planning to use windows 7 for game and osx for everything else, but after a week of this crap, i am now using windows 7 for everything, SOOOOO much easier and stable. Only use the osx for xcode (iphone app development).

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I don't think OS X sucks at all, and no i would never use Windows again. This might be a hardware issue or something :(

4. gagaliya macrumors 6502

run some heavy graphic stuff in osx, and put your hand over the exhaust to see if the fan is running, overheat (fan broken) usually causes computer to freeze.

I doubt it's hardware issue, macbook pro uses all standard same hardware, so there should not be any compatibility issues. If you did something funky with osx, try a fresh install.

Another good test is install windows 7 and see if it crashes, if it also randomly freezes, then you can be more sure it's a hardware issue.

5. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I don't have W7, and the fans are good and working, my temps are low all the time.

6. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I've experienced this in the past and normally it will let me force quit the browser when it's frozen. Then everything usually goes back to normal and I can just reopen the application.

Try using Firefox if you aren't already. And if you use youtube, try the html5 beta version of youtube here, I think

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No i mean everything freezes, nothing is usable. =/

8. PAC88 macrumors 6502

that's wierd. I can't recall experiencing freezes that bad. I do believe that firefox is more stable than safari but it could just be my imagination. So that might help but I'm not sure.

edit: Maybe you could also try out the new Opera browser. I think it was just released not too long ago so I haven't heard much about it yet. I'd be curious to see how well it works.

anyways, I'm not an expert at this stuff so someone else probably has a better solution. good luck

9. Fasailmac macrumors member

this appears to be an issue with safari and flash. Safari crashes atlest 4-5 times a day for me when trying to multi task with youtube videos in the background.

10. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I had Safari crash on me before on my c2d MBP but nothing this bad. Same with my Mac Mini.

11. Panzo macrumors 6502

Basic trouble shooting people.

1) Observe Issue.
    2) Observe Time.
    3) Open Console.
    4) Look for time and match it with specific event.
    5) Post what the console says.
    6) PROFIT ??????

12. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Had another total freeze right now. Checked the Console and found nothing.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Could be bad ram. Have you had any kernal panics or just freezes.

14. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No just everything freezes. I installed new 8GB Crucial RAM =/ I really hope that's not it.

15. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

L - M - A - O - ! - ! - !

Typical Microshitt fanboy offers typical solution to a problem :D

16. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Was going to say its the RAM. Do you get the spinning beachball ? Also, have you tried noting when the computer freezes, ie. if there's an application running on the background that may be causing it ? I had a problem with iWeb freezing my new MBP but just deleting the .plist files (also from the Trash) solved it.

I'm more inclined to think its the RAM though. You do have the stock RAMs with you, yes ? You could just plug them in and test your computer.

17. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No i sold the stock RAM =/ When the system freezes nothing is usable. And iv'e noticed that it happens every time flash is playing in the browser. I repaired disk permissions but i did not see anything flash related.

18. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Flash on Safari ? If you're on Snow Leopard and if the Flash plugin crashes, Safari will just notify you but not freeze the entire system for sure. If one of the RAMs are faulty, chances are that the other one is good. So I would take out one module and test the system.

If this doesn't work out an erase and install is probably warranted. The hard disk can also produce such symptoms - so I suggest you try removing the RAM units first, one at a time, test your machine, if problem still persists, try erasing and reinstalling OSX, if still something's wrong, you could have a bad HDD. My father had this once on his 2007 MBP. It ended with the computer freezing at the grey screen during boot up and becoming very hot. Stock Hitachi drives have a major issue with their durability.

19. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I have no issues booting up. I upgraded to a Hitachi drive, and I get fast boot up times still. I'll try going on one stick for a few days and see. Thanks.

20. bluskale macrumors regular

my assumption would be potential ram issues. you should always test your ram when you install new ones... its good to let the tests run through several times, as malfunctions can be intermittent, or only show up under heavy use (I can speak from personal experience on that point). The basic program for this is memtest, but there are some wrappers for this that make it a bit easier to use.

I think rember is 10.6 compatible http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15837/rember

or you can install applejacks, but only use the memtest option (the rest of it is NOT 10.6 compatible). applejacks has the advantage of running from single user mode, and therefore has more of your ram to test than rember.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack

21. recKz macrumors newbie

I also got this for the first time today. I had Spotify and Google Chrome open. In chrome I tried to enlarge an image but the cursor got stuck on the maginfying glass with a + in it. Music was still playing but I couldn't click on anything.

Hopefully it'll just go away.

22. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Alright so I called Applecare and they told me to reinstall Snow Leopard. Did that and today it froze again so that didn't help. I ran TechTool Deluxe and everything passed fine.

So next thing I did was I took out one of the 4GB sticks and left one in. Got a freeze again so right now I switched between the sticks again to try the other one. Now if I get a freeze again that means both my sticks are fine and there is any issue with the HD or could they both be defective?

23. Hadron macrumors regular

Well it's clearly possible that both are defective, in the sense that no law of physics prohibits this, but I'd think it unlikely. So if it were me I'd look elsewhere if this happens.

24. lightworker macrumors member

What everyone of you are talking here?
    Did anyone of you read the forum or somethin'?
    Come on people!
    Just few mor threads before this one itself!

Take a look here, and know bout reality:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912979

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912218

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2407560&tstart=30

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2420192&tstart=0

Oh and take a look on this too:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=912296

Now, you know "reality".

25. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

:eek:

Yeah, I think you have some ram issues. The system may boot fine but as soon as you start using more and more memory it must hit a 'bad' spot in the memory.

I would run a ram test. Its a shame you don't have the original ram to put back in.

I would do the following:

1. Remove one of sticks of memory and use the system. Crash? Perfect? Did you go back in time? Make a note of it.

2. Swap the sticks and use the system. Crash? Perfect? Back in time? Make a note of it.

3. If both sticks ran great then try a ram stresser with both stick in to see if that will identify the issue.

Here is a great link to ram stressers: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=test+memory+in+os+x&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Report back so we can help you.

-P