i5 MBP slower than 27" IMAC i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmhsam, Sep 6, 2010.

1. cmhsam macrumors 6502

Today i went out and bought a 2nd addition to my MAC family, a 15" i5 MBP, 2.4Ghz with 4GB of RAM. I also have a 27" iMAC i5. It seems like the MBP is slower than the IMAC? Is this normal? For example surfing the web seems slower on the MBP. Am connected via wireless on both systems and the wireless router is in the next room where I usually sit and watch tv.

Any ideas?

TIA

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Naturally, the MBP will be a bit slower, as it has only about half the processing power that your iMac does. I'm not sure why internet browsing is slower though, as that doesn't have much of anything to do with processor speed

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

The 27" iMac is a quad core 2.8ghz i5, whereas the mbp is a dual core 2.4ghz i5.

4. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

Both good points. I didnt even stop to think about that. Thanks for the info. Guess I will just have to suck it up.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

One more bit of food for thought OP, the iMac has a desktop class processor and a desktop class HDD so naturally it will be more powerful than a notebook a computer.

6. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

You are right. Guess I havent had a notebook in such a long time that I forgot about these things. My iMAC seems to bring up web pages instantaneously vs the MBP which takes a little while longer to load.

7. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you aren't noticing that your iMac has a lot of the webpages you visit already cached so it skips downloading some stuff?

8. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that might be the problem too but even on net new web pages the problem exists. Meeting with the genius bar today.

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I don't even get how you would see the difference in performance between the machines in basic tasks..

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Is your iMac on wired ethernet for internet and the macbook pro on wifi? that can also cause some lag.

11. cmhsam thread starter macrumors 6502

No both are wireless. I went to the genius bar today and they let me upgrade, without restocking fee, to the i7 with matte screen. System appears to be working better and i actually now prefer the matte screen over the glossy.