i5 MBP Wireless Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yozh, Feb 28, 2011.

1. yozh macrumors 6502

Hello,

Any one else noticed wireless issues with i5 MBP 13 inch ? I have a APBE and APE and connecting to both eather in 2.4 or 5 GHZ I drop alot of pings and not all the time doesn't meter if Im next to it or not. Any one else ?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

3. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the answer :)

I guess troubleshooting is a foot. Strange issue I hope its not the MBP.... Reallu hate to take it back after RAM and SSD upgrade .....

4. yozh, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I did a lot of testing yesterday with different scenarios and this is really interesting stuff, now I`m not sure if this was happening on my MBP mid-2009 since I dont have it any more I cant test.

If I upload from the MBP to any where using any protocol (SMB, FTP, NFS, AFP) there are no issues the stream seems to be fine and I`m able to ping from/to the machine with out an issue or lost packets, but if I download at a high speed, 4-11MegaBytes (30-90Megabits) to the MBP I start to loose pings 10-15 sec after the transfer starts, again using any protocol. The pings are lost to/from the MBP.

Now here is the interesting part, the packet loose doesnt seem to affect the transfer at all in fact I could be transferring in/out at the same time and it does not get dropped or loose speed, even if ping packets are lost in massive blocks of 10 pings at a time.

Now being a network guy I seen this before, where a device would protect it self when extensive amounts of pings are sent it drops some % to protect the backplane, so I`m wondering if I`m seeing the same things here, the only issue is that this is happening only on this MBP using eather Airport extreme or airport express eather on 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ, I have a AppleTV (original) connected to same Airport Extreme and even when I transfer to it(FTP) I dont see same issue.....

5. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok more testing and and actually bought a new AirPort Extreme dual band. Having even more issues......

6. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

After killing my self over this for a week, I went to the store and replaced the laptop to a new one, I did not have the old RAM so they swapped the RAM from the current machine (8GB) over. Also got a new Dual Band APBE.

And Guess what same results. While transferring a large file over the wireless you get lots of drops. Some times while jsut browsing internet or local network I get slow downs and I see pings drop.

Can anyone with a new MacBook Pro 13 i5 transfer a big file while a ping is going (to anything, your local gateway) and see you start to get drops ?

I`m not dismissing that RAM could cause this, I just dont see how and I dont have original sticks anymore to test. This is really a strange one.....

7. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

don't have this identical problem, but the speed of my new 2011 MBP is one fifth of my 2009. Ping tests to my local router (home 802.11n network, only 2 machines on it) is 1.5ms average on my 2009, 51ms on my 2011, and the 2009 is a consistent 1.5 while the 2011 is widely varying from a low of 4ms to over 100ms. Speedtest.net speeds are 25mbps on the 2009 and 5mbps on the 2011, to the same server at about the same time, and repeatable. Something fishy about this new network card, I suspect.

8. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you try the test as I suggested ? Transfer a file while have a ping terminal or network utility open, and see if you start to get drops ?

9. sydenham macrumors regular

How nice. You got a replacement when you didn't even need one. Some people... Are the base stations set to bridged mode?

10. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Very nice. Thanks for the help.

11. sydenham macrumors regular

Way to answer a question. Let me try again. Are the base stations set to bridged mode? And I hope you said thank you to Apple for wasting their time :p

12. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

You added the last part later LOL.

No they are not bridged.

13. sydenham macrumors regular

I have found its better to set the base stations to Bridged mode (internet settings for base station) and let your modem/router provide the ip addresses to the machines connected to the network. I don't know if this may help.

14. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

The issue is with wireless connectivity not IP connectivity. Thanks for the help.

15. sydenham macrumors regular

My suggestion was for wireless connectivity problems. Suit yourself. Thought maybe I would try to help and prevent you from asking for a replacement laptop again.

16. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

So over at apple support forums, quite few people are having same issues as me, ranging from 13-17inch MBP. Same issues as described here and with most people changing there MBP at the stores few times over.

I`m really afraid to exchange again as even tough the issue exists in this MBP its better then it was on the other one.....

17. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Umm, Hate to point out the weakness in your argument but if you're testing with ping it's all about IP connectivity.

ICMP (which is what ping is part of) is encapsulated in the IP datagram so it's an IP issue at heart. ICMP resides at the network layer in the OSI model.

18. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Hate to Play this game with you but you are testing layer 1-2 via layer 3 connectivity, the issues it self is not at the layer 3 ip connectivity, but rather below that hence its not an IP issues just IP is used to verify. Same way that you can test the road with a car, but the issues is not with a car but the road it self. Same issue here there is a problem with Wireless conectivity as wired working fine and other wireless devices working fine. Thanks for feedback.

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

So, you're blaming the issue on what, the radio? I'm thinking I'm getting the gist of your complaint, but unsure here.

20. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Take a look at this thread

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13293496#13293496

Pretty much everyone has the same exact issue as me. There are other threads out there as well. I`m just really surprised its not out more, as it seems to happen to pretty much every MacBook 2011, it is possible that the issue is very hard to detect until you notice it.

But to answer your question I dont know what I`m blaming it on. I know there is no issue with IP connectivity on my network. I know other wireless devices, including Macs, iPhones, iPads and PC laptops, are not having the same issue as this macbook. I know that same macbook on wired network also doesnt have an issue...

Oh and also I know that this is the second exchanged MacBook Pro and same exact issue.