i5 or i7 at best buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cbowjones, Nov 25, 2009.

1. cbowjones macrumors newbie

I have two questions....First, I was wondering if anyone knows if best buy is going to be carrying the i5 or i7 anytime soon? As of right now they only carry the base 3.0 dual core. Reason for asking, is best buy approved me and apple did not for some bogus reason! All I wanted to finance was half anyways..

Secondly, should i settle for the base 3.0? Im a new recruit into the mac world as this will be my first apple computer. Im mainly going to be using it to complete school, do a little photoshop work, and do some small time video editing...nothing major. I want the quad just for future adventures, but am anxious to get it asap!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is no telling if and when Best Buy would get them. I don't think you need either and futureproofing rarely makes sense. I would highly recommend not financing a computer, buy what you can afford.

3. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I hear ya, but if I was going to buy today I would hold out for a i5. I think the 4 cores is a huge jump worth waiting for.

I dont think any one knows if best buy will carry the i5's. Its all most certain they will though.

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, there is a tread regarding the i5 & i7 iMac from resellers:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=818287
    If you are a student, why not get the educational discount from Apple?
    I would suggest the i5 if you have the cash, as you get a better CPU & GPU, as compared to the standard 27" imac.

5. unamused macrumors 6502

from all sides, it looks like the i7 wont be available at best buy. They dont carry BTO models and thats what the i7 is.