i5 or i7 CPU

Discussion in 'iMac' started by garycurtis, Aug 9, 2013.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

What software takes advantage of the more expensive i7 Intel chip?

It is a $200 bump in the cost of the machine. I'm only using image processing software. Adobe LightRoom -5.

2. Serban Suspended

3. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mike457 macrumors 6502

I have owned iMacs with both i5 and i7 processors. I find the i7 is significantly faster for processing videos through Handbrake and other similar software. For my work with Photoshop, I didn't really find that I could notice a difference.

5. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Adobe Photoshop certainly takes advantage, but it also loves a lot of RAM.
    Other apps like AutoCAD, Autodesk Maya and many other high end professional graphics packages will realize some benefit from it. Then again, if you plan on working with such apps, you likely will not be considering a Mac, but a Mac Pro with a decent calibrated display.

6. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, I'm not a graphics guy. But i'm curious. I see a thread with lots of posts pondering the issue of a future iMac.

Haven't most processing barriers been swept aside by the 2012 editions of the iMac? I guess I'm asking, what more could people want that they couldn't have be switching to a Mac Pro, as you suggested?

(I guess there's no sure answer, given how unpredictable Apple is about future releases)