i5 or i7 for movie editing with final cut pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeus86, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Zeus86 macrumors member

My girlfriend needs to buy a new computer for movie editing with final cut pro. She is trying to decide if she should get the 15 inch Pro with the i5 or i7. I'm telling her to get the i7 but I want to get some other opinions. Any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either one is perfectly capable for handing movie editing.

3. articcine macrumors regular

i5 works perfect for editing, no need for an i7.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

i7 ist just a label for the most expensive dual core.
    It is still just a dual core with slightly higher clocks. The difference can not be felt. Without comparing some benchmark values there is no way one would ever notice the difference. They are way too close.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Quick disks are more of an issue than processor speed (though I refute the claim that the 2.8 GHz i7 will "not be felt" when compared to a 2.4 GHz config), particularly with the higher boost.

Unless she plans on keeping it for a long time, grab the i5 and get and get some quick disks preferrebly a FW800 raid config from g-tech/owc.

6. Zeus86 thread starter macrumors member

yea I think she might keep it for a while. She is still using her blackbook core duo. She is thinking about getting a iMac instead because it looks like a better bang for the buck.

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

my i7 runs FCP smoothly, but i would assumer that an i5 would do the same, the only time you would see a difference was when you start editing bigger videos...

8. snouter macrumors 6502a

i5, save the money for the other things you will need once you start editing, cards, cameras, drives, etc.

I love the latest tech and still got a base 17" i5 laptop. There is just no way the i7 is worth a $200 difference.