i5 or i7 for new 5Dmkii

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by withfilm, Nov 17, 2009.

1. withfilm macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 5Dmkii soon! Does anyone think that the i7 will be worth upgrading to? I'll mostly shoot stills. But I'm sure that I will want to get into shooting video I'm just not sure how much at this point.

Any thoughts?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Umm...they are largely unrelated. The bottleneck for processing photos is currently the software. You wouldn't see much of any difference with the i7. The more RAM the better, and a fast hard drive are key factors. For video, you might get a bit faster for rendering time, but weren't not talking hours.

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

If i7 was off-the-shelf standard configuration, I would plunked down $200 for i7, which offers 8 virtual cores (4 physical plus 4 hyperthread cores) and faster clock speed. Many online stores offer attractive discount on iMac but they do not offer build-to-order configuration which i7 is.

When and if Aperture (or your favorite RAW processor) gets updated to take advantage of Grand Central, you may leap benefits from having i7. Otherwise, the benefit over i5 won't be dramatic.

4. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Don't underestimate the importance of HDD speed. Its impossible to say if its more important than CPU, as this depends on your workflow.

5. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Is Apple still producing that sort of configuration (17" iMac with 8 cores)?

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I believe it is typed "i" small, lower case i and not 17" per say ;)