i5 or i7 for the 11 - will I see a difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by UKmacman, Sep 6, 2011.

1. UKmacman macrumors regular

As the title says, will I see a difference in basic things like opening programs etc. I am sure there will be a speed difference in things like converting movies etc but will it be a lot?

Also will the battery drain faster using the faster processor? I kind of think I could probably make do with the i5 but when spending so much what is that little bit more to help future proof myself one more step?

2. dread macrumors 6502a

A 30% improvement is pretty significant and I think you would notice it. Apple rates the processors with the same battery life so I imagine any difference is small. If you can afford it get the better processor or get the 13 with the I5

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Depends on what you do.
    Running heavy apps? then yes.
    Only safari, word, light apps? then no

4. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

this is covered all over the forum.

i5 vs i7 depends highly on 11" or 13", as the i5's in question are different (though the i7 is the same).

the difference for the 11" is about 20%, for CPU intensive work.

the difference is less for the 13", and probably not worth it for most people.

even the difference for the 11" will likely matter only to those doing video audio work.

search the forum for more info and opinions.

5. norris.sizemore macrumors newbie

Go for the i7

I got mine last week with the i7 option and I don't regret it at all.

You do notice a battery hit if/when the i7 gets hungry, but other than that, it's great. :D