i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josephmccutchen, Sep 20, 2010.

1. josephmccutchen macrumors member

I'll be buying a MacBook Pro 15" at the end of October. However, I'm not sure whether to get the i5 or the i7. What I'm planning on doing is using it for iMovie, Final Cut Express, etc; nothing too intensive. I would personally like to get the i5, as it is about $400 cheaper (I'm in South Korea, if that helps any), than the i7. If I buy the i5, and upgrade it to 8GB of RAM, will it be good enough? Thanks for your help!:)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The i5 with 4 or 8 GB will be plenty for you.

Unless you want to save minutes and do a lot, really a lot, transcoding of video files or any other files, the i5 is fast enough.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the base model 2.4GHz i5 is excellent.

I'm pretty sure everyone values their time. That's probably the wrong word to use. ;)

Maybe "save" time?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, didn't find the right words, English is not my native tongue, and when I talk in my mother's language, I have a hard time finding the right words too, but the English ones are not hard to find in such situations. Strange situation.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Get the i5 and put the difference towards an SSD, you`ll almost certainly notice the difference far more than the processor upgrade.