i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josh Kahane, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

Well Im sure its been discussed plenty before, but lets discuss it more!

Shall I get 2.4 i5, 2.53 i5 or 2.66 i7?

I will be doing programming, possibly some light 3d work in future, but probably not, urrm use it most of the day, some light game playing. Anyway I want a work horse, but I hear these models are so close in performance I need it clearing up.

Hope you can help me choose!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

simple rule for the most part. If you have to ask that question then you do not need an i7

4. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

My 2008 MBP (see my signature for specs) is more than capable of doing programming work so based of that i would say any of these models are more than you'll need for that. They will all do 3D work fine, the higher spec ones will just get the job done quicker!

5. apple.gr macrumors regular

For your needs I would get the base 15" model. But the question you have to answer is whether you want or not the 512MB VRam?

6. sadcamper macrumors regular

Hear, hear.

7. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Agree completely. IMO, the only reason to choose the i7 over the i5 is if you need 512 VRAM on the dedicated GPU. Only you can decide that. :apple:

8. apolloa macrumors G4

apolloa

Simple:

2.53 is a waste of money.
    2.4 is the only i5 you want
    The i7 is for those like me who want the best and fastest and will play lots of games, and will be the one for video editing and heavy music production I guess? The i7 is the fastest chip but I don't think you will notice it much programming?

So I would say the 2.4 i5 in your case.

9. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty sound decision, thanks guys. Looks like I will be going for the 2.4 i5, but if you still have something to say, let me know.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

The i5 2.4GHz is the best "Bang for The Buck" (unless you do a lot of video gaming or editing on the fly)...drop a 7200rpm drive in that thing and you have a fast MBP that will last you for quite a while...I couldn't be happier with mine...:)

11. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

the way i see it, you're already spending around 2 grand, why not save up another 200 and get the core i7 2.66ghz mbp? i was gunna go with the 2.4ghz at 1st also, but after realizing the 200 dollar difference, i just went with the core i7 since it'll definitely be a bigger boost of power for not that much more money.

12. cowsop macrumors newbie

Will the 512 MB of VRAM make a difference for gaming?

13. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

its almost double the amount that the 2.44-2.56ghz has, let alone mbps don't even have 1gb of vram so i would suppose your better off getting the most apple has to offer you. i think the difference is minimal, but you can't upgrade the gpu anyways so u mind as well get the best offered.

14. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I would consider the i7 only if you qualify for the educational discount. $200 off for the i7 vs. $100 off the low-end i5. Makes it a bit more reasonable.

15. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

After looking into it further it really muddling things up. I don't know anymore. Can anyone give anymore reasons to get either of them?