i5 overheating after ZAGG water installation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamMacPerson, Jan 3, 2014.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I think my worst fear has happened. I took my iPhone to a (semi) local ZAGG install kiosk and they installed a back protector for me. I have this done before on other iPhone 5's (this is a replacement iPhone 5) and one other time on this exact phone. But after a week, I'm noticing random crashes after a restore to new and the iPhone is overheating like CRAZY. The last few weeks its been in the 60's and 70's here in Southern California, so its not hot-hot, and its not humid either. But like today (not the first time its been too hot to hold this week), the iPhone was switching between LTE/3G and 1X (Verizon iPhone) and after making 2 test calls to #832, the iPhone got un-bearably hot. I called Apple on the phone, and I could barely hold it to my face. They said to call back later so they could do diagnostics (I was on the road with no data as I was on the phone). Not even a minute after hanging up, the iPhone showed an overheating error and shut off. It eventually came back up after about 15 minutes, and the Apple Rep I spoke to later said it didn't show in the diagnostics.

It sounds like water damage to me, and if it is, what should I do? Should I confront the ZAGG kiosk?

I'm taking it to the store next week after I recover from this cold I have.

I'm glad I bought AppleCare+.

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Huh? I have a mophie case. During the work say the phone is plugged in for about 5 hours streaming music and the phone doesn't overheat.

4. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Then why does Apple make a case for the iPhone 5/5S?

Also worth noting I have one of those BestCase bumpers from Target, so the back and front are not in a case.

If I was using my Lifeproof case, it would be a different story.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yeah, ignore the off-topic posts.

I'd close all applications in the recently used app list and do a reset (press and hold home and sleep buttons until the Apple logo appears).

6. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I did that just before the problems started. Yeah, I know it sounds like a lie, but I really did. Only a handful of apps were running when it overheated and shut down, maybe 5, and most of them were stock apps (Phone, Photos, Calculator, and Photos, IIRC)

7. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I recently installed a wet install back screen protector, and sometimes the phone does get extremely hot. I think it might be because the material of wet install screen protectors is poor at dissipating heat. Only a theory. Using my phone naked prior to the install, the phone would still get just about as hot sometimes. Unless you're sensitive to heat or something, I don't find it "unbearably" hot.

8. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Well mine gets pretty hot. The back got so hot shortly after the install, I could feel the heat through my jeans (it was laying on my leg). It seems to be happening more frequently and more intensely as time progresses. Like I said, making 2 test calls to VZW made the phone get pretty hot (15 sec calls each).

9. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I hate the zagg screen protectors. They are expensive and don't work and are hard to put on. They are no tougher than any other screen protector on the market. They have permanent bubbles if you don't do it quick enough, they make they screen dim with the anti glare film. THEY VOID THE IPHONE WARRANTY TOO.

I GIVE THE ZAGG SCREEN PROTECTOR 0 out of 5 stars

10. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

How do they void AppleCare? I'm not jailbreaking the iPhone just putting the screen protector on it. And if you say that all screen protectors void AppleCare, I would like to point you to your nearest Apple Store, where they are probably selling screen protectors.

Also, I didn't use ZAGG on the front, just the back. This way I do not get scratches on either side of my iPhone and I can use my bumper. ZAGG HD is the best for the display, but I prefer the PowerSupport USA brand Apple use to carry.

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but I think he probably means that there is the possibility of voiding the original warranty due to water damage if the liquid sensor(s) is unintentionally tripped during the installation process. This was much easier to do with the iPhone 4/4s with the liquid indicators more openly exposed in the dock connector and headphone jack. Your AppleCare+ should help you out under circumstances due to accidental/water damage, if this is proven to be the case.

I use a Skinomi skin on the back and sides of my iPhone 5, and have always been using a skin on it since a week after I first got it on launch (used to have skin front protector until I discovered glass screen protectors!). Never had a problem with overheating, and the back feels fine to me. Yours definitely does not sound like a normal case, and I would take that to an Apple Store for the Genius to personally diagnose. If the diagnosis requires that you pay for a replacement, and it was caused with high probability due to inadvertent water damage through the installation, I would confront the kiosk for reimbursement of fees for the replacement before you go through with it.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. Sent from my iPad.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you think its causing heat issues then by all means take it off. I have ghost armor on my iPhone 5 and it does not cause any heating problems. Heck I have that and a case.

13. blarivee macrumors 6502

AppleCare is the basic warranty for defects by the manufacturer. Since you have AppleCare+, it doesn't matter because it covers two accidental damage. Probably some of the liquid got in during installation. There are still seams between the glass window on the back and aluminum piece.

You could confront the Zagg kiosk if Apple determines that it is due to water damage. They (Zagg) might deny it but it's worth a try.

14. m3nphls macrumors member

I've never recommended screen protections that require some kind of solution because I've seen these solutions that supposed to do nothing to your phone, to actually get inside and mess it up. I myself use the zagg invisible shield dry install. Never use one that requires solution.

15. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I doubt that the zagg kiosk will be any help, I believe they're just franchised and whoever owns it is not going to care about helping you. The one at my local mall is owned and managed by a 20 year old. Your best bet would be contacting zagg through their website if you wanted to go that route.

16. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I doubt you got water damage through installing the screen protector... Go to apple store and find out if the phone has any defects.

Also, can't understand why people use wet screen protectors installs when the dry ones are just as good and you won't tell the difference after it's installed...

17. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm sure it's not water damage. Just take it to Apple don't mention water damage obviously. I recently did have water damage on mine from the Cerritos Mall kiosk and they reimbursed me the $49. Then again mine was able to be seen on the screen. Yours wasn't caused by them.

Also, I've had invisible shield on all my phones and tablets. Still go back to these guys. I love invisible shield. Amazing stuff.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, even though the phone protects it self that kind of heat is terrible for the battery and electronics.

I'd go back to the place they applied it, show them the overheating, and remove it in front of them and see if the issue is resolved. If so I hope they would do the right thing and refund or reinstall.