i5 SSD or i7 HDD for Photoshop and web design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pikkuroope, May 5, 2010.

1. Pikkuroope macrumors member

So I was wondering if I should go for an i5 with a 128GB SSD or an i7 with maybe 7200 HDD. Mainly for photoshop and photographing use and web coding/design. Anti-glare with both of course.

What does matter most with Photoshop? What about battery life?

Should I buy an SSD from some other place than Apple?

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

As long as your getting the default Apple SSD, might as well go with the i7 and take the hard drive. If your looking at an Intel SSD (or anything slightly comparable), go with the i5.

3. Pikkuroope thread starter macrumors member

Yep I was thinking about changing the disk afterwise so that I would have the HDD also for other use. Where should I buy my SSD? And what do you people consider the best SSD in the market? I'm looking for some 128 gigs just.

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I LOVE SSD's. But you can do that upgrade anytime. Do the i7 and then save up for an SSD at a later time (plus you don't want apples SSD anyways)

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Ill say it before other people does, MROOGLE :p

6. Pikkuroope thread starter macrumors member

Yep I know, tried that :D

Intel or OCZ vertex? :confused:

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

OCZ vertex is better, in my oppinion, because it has garbage collection (its kinda like TRIM and as good as we can hope for at the moment until OSX supports it). The only downside is that your computer may have trouble going to sleep due to firmware issues. Plus their support sucks balls.

But the speed is AWESOME!

8. Pikkuroope thread starter macrumors member

And then again, would I benefit more from a i5 with 8GB DDR3 or i7 with 4?

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

See my original reply to that question.

10. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

The OWC Mercury, Crucial C300 and OCZ Vertex 2/Agility 2 are the leaders of the SSD pack right not. Personally, I chose a Vertex 2 for my desktop. If you are not in any hurry, the new Intel G3 will be released at the end of the year and I hear a new Indilinks controller is in progress. Both should theoretically surpass the fastest drives of today and should also lower the price of the technology. But if you need an upgrade now, there is no reason not to get one of the aforementioned. For a desktop it makes sense to install the smallest drive that will allow you to install your OS and apps leaving approximately 20% free, while with a laptop, if it will be your only drive, IE no optibay, it makes sense to buy the largest drive you can justify. For me, I'm gonna wait a while to install one in my UMBP so I can get a larger drive.

Oh and for all things SSD, check out anandtech.com.

11. Reapur macrumors regular

All you have to do is go into Energy Saver and uncheck "Put Hard Disk to sleep when possible" and that should fix the wake problems.