i5 upgrade or i7 13' help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scboxa, May 31, 2011.

1. scboxa macrumors member

So its time to get a new computer and im def. getting either the 13' i5 or the i7. Basically what im going to use it for is general browsing, movies, downloading, photo editing and really soft gaming. My question is would it be better to upgrade the i5 to 8gb ram and 128 ssd drive rather then get the i7?. I love the mac thats why im getting it, I understand that I can save alot and get a mid pc to fit my needs since I wont be using it to its maximum potential but I loved mac since day one and the computer i have now is hitting bottom. Thanks guys

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your usage won't benefit from the faster CPU so get the RAM and SSD. Get them from aftermarket though, especially the RAM.

3. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

hey guys thanks, aftermarket meaning?, i was going to order off apple.ca.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Aftermarket as in buy the macbook pro and after you recieve, look for good deals on ram and SSD and install it yourself. It is very easy to install these 2 items into your new mbp.

6. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

is it really that easy? do you know any good instructional threads?
    doesnt it void your warranty?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I would consider the Apple SSD upgrade. Not the RAM though. I have had nothing but problems with aftermarket SSDs. I have tried 2 OCZ Vertex 2s and both were dead in the box. One would show up in the Windows installer but nowhere else, but wouldn't format. I'm just saying SSDs are so new that they really are bleeding edge tech. RAM won't be a big issue though. Just make sure you get the exact right kind. Another issue with changing MBP hard drives is that they use Torx T6 mounting screws and I have had an enormous amount of trouble finding a T6 screwdriver. (My 500gb 7200RPM drive is currently using small pieces of rubber to hold it in place.)

9. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

txhockey9404

so your saying my best bet woud be getting the ssd upgrade from the apple website ?

ok thanks guys !

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I think it might just be they've had bad luck. I haven't had any issues with Aftermarket SSDs, and I have a Intel X25-M in my Mac Pro in a adapter (3.5 -> 2.5) and another in my MacBook White straight in, both are fine and I didn't have any problems with either of them.

11. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I've heard great things about the Intels, but they are slow in comparison with the OCZs. I was buying my SSD for a gaming rig, not a laptop, so I went for speed and got less reliability. I think the Intel may be a much safer bet. But if you have no experience with building computers, putting in the SSD may be frustrating. Maybe I just do have bad luck.

Either way, it doesn't void your warranty so long as you don't break anything. Check out ifixit.com for guides to see if you think you can do it. RAM is as easy as 10 small screws to take off the bottom of the case, then popping it up and out. HDD takes a few more screws and a bit more caution.

I say buy the SSD from Apple because if it doesn't work, it will be much easier to get a replacement from them than it would from Intel or OCZ.