i5 vs. i7 13" cMBP heat and fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aspen, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Aspen macrumors member

I've searched high and low on the forums so please don't throw rocks at me.

I'd like to purchase a 13" cMBP as I just prefer the power and lack of scroll lag over the rMPB that I encounter frequently on the websites that I use. Also, some of the same sites are still not retina optimized thus the text is quite blurry.

So once and for all, does the i7 on the 13" cMBP run hotter than the i5 and do the fans kick on more? I would have about 8 tabs open and streaming data at the same time.

Thanks all.

2. Aspen thread starter macrumors member

3. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I highly doubt the fans would kick up, only time my i7 gets warm is when I'm gaming or watching YouTube.

If I'm just browsing the web with a bunch of tabs and listening to pandora, the CPU runs at 100*F which is lukewarm.

Right now, I've got 3 tabs open, listening to iTunes with tweetbot constantly updating and it's not even remotely warm.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

'Retina optimization' has nothing to do with the text.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The i7 will be more powerful than the i5. That being said, it will be able to handle more such as in the event of multitasking. Your computer will only heat up depending on what you throw at it.

6. Aspen thread starter macrumors member

That's what the web folks told me. I have no idea why nor do I really care. It's blurry-that's all I know.

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The i7 and i5 dual cores are very similar CPUs, with the same TDP, cache, and really differ only in clock speed. I wouldn't expect to see much difference in heat buildup.

That said, I don't have a 13" rMBP. I do have the 15", with the current middle CPU (2.7GHz), and the fan kicks in maybe once a week unless I'm gaming. It's the only laptop I've ever used that's completely silent during normal use. And it has a 45W quad core. If they can get that so thoroughly right, I can't imagine the 13" model being any worse.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

Amazon dropped the price of the i7 cMBP by $100 ($1399). The i5 cMBP is $1129. So is the $270 worth it? I prefer the cMBP over the rMBP for many reasons. :)

9. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

Actually, the i7 has more cache.