i5 Vs. i7 for music recording.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Buzzardspecial, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Buzzardspecial macrumors newbie

Hello. I am considering purchasing a new iMac to use primarily for recording music. This will be my first computer I've ever bought for this purpose. I have almost everything picked out that I want in the computer, but I'm wondering: are there any other music producers on here who can comment on i5 processor performance versus that of i7 as far as recording and producing goes? Is it worth spending some more money getting an i7 for recording, or will an i5 do just fine? I'm still learning the technical aspects of modern processors (my last machine is an '01 model) but I like second opinions on these things.
    Initially I will be doing some small acoustic stuff but I also play with friends so I want the machine to be able to handle it if we do any full band type stuff. Many thanks. :)

2. sounddesigner macrumors regular

i7

I prefer the i7 just because I mainly do audio post for video so I can max out protools very fast. Plus just to make everything more snappy I prefer i7

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If all you are doing is recoding audio then I don't think you'll notice a difference. The i7 is faster but I doubt the processor will be the bottleneck. Harddrive write speed and RAM will probably be more important than the i5 vs i7.